1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

942 problem - audio no video

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by cocokola, Dec 15, 2005.

1. cocokola

cocokola Cool Member

Jan 16, 2003
    posted this elsewhere, no responses so..

A search didn't pop up anything obvious in the forums..

I just installed a 942, and everything was working great, but three times since I installed it last night the system seems to be working, but changing channels I suddenly get no video:

I can see the on-screen display when I change channels, and I get audio, but no video. Changing channels I again can see the channel info on the OSD, but no video. A check switch test passes fine. I see one green light on the front display (tv1 I believe).

Anyone have any ideas what might cause this, or potential solutions?

thanks in advance, and apologies if this was answered before, but I uncovered nothing recent.

-CoCoKo

2. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson ViP622/ViP722 Guy DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2005
    I've not seen or read of this happening either. It could very well be that your 942 is bad. Before you call Tech Support, please try the following:

If you haven't already, try a "warm boot" by pressing and holding in the front panel power button for 10 seconds. It will take a while to reboot. If it doesn't come on by itself, power it on with the remote.

If the warm boot doesn't help, do a "cold boot". Power off the 942 and unplug it for at least 30 seconds. Longer would be good. Then plug it back in and turn it on.

I doubt that these will help, but it won't hurt to try. Your next step will be to call Dish. Please let us know what happens.

3. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    I had a new problem show it's ugly head. I turned on (out of standby) the receiver, the software appears to be fine, menu works, guide, DVR list, show info, etc ... but no video/audo. Tried different channels, SD, HD, OTA, Recorded, nothing shows up. All the info looks good, but just a black screen for the actual video/audio. Definetly not an ouput problem since the guide, menu, etc ... shows up, but rather a tuner problem of some sort. I hit PIP and the windowed tuner works, I hit swap and it moved to main screen and now PIP is black. I hit the power button to put it back in standby and then hit power again, now no video/audio and PIP doesn't do anything. At this point I did a soft reset and everything came back. Very strange. Oh, about 15 minutes or so before this everything was fine.

4. Mike Johnson

Jan 16, 2005
    Rob,
    This is the second report I have seen of this problem. A reboot fixed that user's problem as well. I have not seen any reports of it happening a second time. Please keep me informed, and I will pass this along after the holiday.

5. HDTV55

HDTV55 Cool Member

May 9, 2003
    It has happened to me three times now. Each time I was watching OTA HD. I havent had it happen while watching other satellite Chanel's. I have to reboot the machine. I dont loose audio, just video. It seems to be happening more and more.

6. Miles69

Miles69 New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    I also have had 3 video drop outs today, I did a hard boot it happened again I did a check switch and it happened again ... ETC. I does seem to have happened while watching OTA but can not tune to sat after the drop out. audio is great but I hate to use my new 55" HDTV as a radio !!!!!!:mad:

7. genski

genski New Member

May 10, 2005

count me in! After 283 update, it happened to me Nth times but mine is little different. watching OTA HD during inclement weather and the video drops out, try other channel/s, menu, info and the audio is very good but no video at all. A reboot/check switch will solve the problem at the times but for me, its not accepted as a fixed :nono:

8. sonoma13

sonoma13 New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    thats kinda weird-mine just started doin that yesterday also.I have audio and the channel banner but no video,even ota channels are doing that. The weird thing is that it is recording something at the same time its doing this and when I play it back through the dvr it shows the picture.

9. Bichon

Bichon Godfather

Jun 5, 2003
    It has happened to me two times since L283.

10. Mike Johnson

Jan 16, 2005
    Are all of you using HDMI?

11. Bichon

Bichon Godfather

Jun 5, 2003
    No, I am using component.

12. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I merged the two threads together..

13. denier

denier New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    It happened yesterday for the first time since i installed it 2 weeks ago. did a cold boot and now ok. i it mixed up going back and forth from the dvr to ota a number of times.

14. barrsurf

barrsurf Cool Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Mine did it tonight. I left OTA on fox to watch House. When I tried to rewind everything went black. I could watch pip, but couldn't watch the original

15. genski

genski New Member

May 10, 2005
    I've both connections but use HDMI more often. neither component works but tv2 is fine. estrange!

16. cocokola

cocokola Cool Member

Jan 16, 2003
    for what it's worth, I have not had the audio / no video problem since it was installed. I'm hoping it was a fluke.

It's interesting others are seeing a similar kind of problem though..

-CoCoKola

17. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005

Just an FYI, the problem I enountered may or may not be the same one this thread is referencing (which is why I started a new one). My problem involved loss of BOTH audio and video, not just video.

Yes

Thanks

18. richardsp

richardsp Cool Member

Sep 21, 2005
    After 283, I've had the no video problem twice. Unplugging and replugging resolved the problem in both cases.

19. Manke

Manke Mentor

Dec 27, 2005
    Yes, I just had the same no video problem for the first time. I was watching sat, no DVR running, and through HDMI. TV 2 was not effected. Soft reboot put it straight.

20. LG811User

LG811User Legend

Jan 11, 2005
    I have had the same problem since 283. I've seen both "video, no audio" and "not video, no audio". Soft reboot fixes it. Seems to happen when switching channels