1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9pm D* telemarketing script readers - not cool

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by flexoffset, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flexoffset

flexoffset Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    Something bad happened tonight. Something really, really bad.

Is it not enough that I spend over $80 per month with D*?
    Apparently not.

I just completed a maddening telemarketing call to try to sell me a programming package. When I respectfully declined three times they managed to try to sell the $3.00 per month DirecTV channel guide magazine thing. They tried a couple times to do that, too.

I will not tolerate calls from D* about programming. I have what I want. I found D* the first time. I know where they are. If I want more channels I will call them.

Is this how it's going to be from now on?
    Telemarketing calls are a hot button issue and this is NOT a good way to welcome a brand new customer :(

Rant over. :mad: :nono2:

2. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    Can't you opt of on their website or account status?

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Never had a sales call from them in 12 years, ever. That is strange.

4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    In the 5+ years that I've had D*, I have yet to get a telemarketing call from them.

Are you 100% sure that it was from D* itself and not some third party?

If you haven't done so, go here: https://www.donotcall.gov

Some call sstill get through, I just say "no thanks, take me off your call list, goodbye". Life is way too short to get torqued over a phone call.

5. blacker

blacker Mentor

Aug 20, 2006

8 years + never got a call from D* trying to sell me something.. only time they have every called me is to make sure i had bbc's connected

6. richiephx

richiephx Godfather

Jan 18, 2006
    Just hang up on them

7. flexoffset

flexoffset Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    He was calling from a call center. He said he was calling about my D* account and offered me a 33 channel sports package.
    Even if he didn't work for D*, my information was probably provided to this scoundrel by D*. How else could he have known I was a customer?

I've been on the Do Not Call List since day 1 (literally), but people with whom you do business are not subject to honor that list.

I'll hop over to my D* account settings and find a button to 'opt out' of any more maddening calls.

8. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    If you've been on the Do Not Call list since day "One", then you might need to renew your listing. That has to be done once every five years. BTW, if you can't find an "opt out" button on D*'s web site, then just call them and ask to be put on D*'s do not call list. They have to honor your request.

9. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    As I understand it, even if you're on the national do not call list, you can still get telemarketing calls from any company you have an existing "business relationship".

10. or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    Been with Directv about 8 years have gotten a couple of these calls, definitely a contract call center, Last time it was for HBO 3 months for free, took several days before I started receiving the HBO signal.

11. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I get them.... maybe about 4-5 times a year

Is it annoying... what telemarketing call isn't...

You can call and request to be removed from their telemarketing lists...
    Basically, as with most telemarketing... you matched a profile...
    A profile that they thought you may be intrested in it.

I have gotten worse calls (collection agencies, for my dad's estate)... as early a 5am... and a summons delivery (for my dad's estate) at 11:30PM...

There are far worse things to "rant" on....
    As much as the do-no-call list has reduced telemarketers... but it is never going to eliminate it.

12. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Why would you speak to them that long? My mother does that too; she answers questions, says she doesn't want what their selling, answers more questions, blah blah blah, etc. etc. then after she spends 5 minutes she finally gets off the phone and complains about those damn telemarketers.
    Here's a clue. HANG UP. DON'T TALK TO THEM. You don't need to wait for a polite moment to say goodbye, just hang up. It takes about 3 seconds to come to the conclusion that it's a telemarketer. Say "take me off your call list". Nothing more nothing less. And you don't need to wait for polite moment to say it. Just say it and hang up. I was getting calls from them every evening for a while. I was on swing shift so was never here but could see it on my caller ID. Finally I was here, said take me off your list and hung up. Nothing since.

13. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

Before the do not call list was available, we'd get telemarketing calls all the time and like you, I'd hang up on them in mid sentence. My wife on the other hand is way too polite to these jerk-offs.

Back to topic, I haven't received a telemarking call from D* yet. Back wnen we had E* we received them all the time. Usually about the Showtime movie package. Click.

14. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    They been calling me everyday. At first I thought it was just to tell me about the BBC's, one day I answers and messaged played that D* was making a telemarketing call and to please call them back at a number they gave. I was a little surprised they were making telemarketing calls.

15. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    +1

You're not obligated to listen to their pitch, much less answer the call. If you have caller ID, like I do, just don't answer the calls. If you do answer the call, as I have mistakenly done at times, as soon as you realize it's a sales pitch (which will be almost instantly) tell them you're not interested and say goodbye. Their job is to keep you on the phone and not take no for an answer, hoping to eventually get you to take what they're pushing. A quick "No thanks, I'm not interested. Goodbye" followed by hanging up works all the time for those instances when you happen to answer the call.

16. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Use caller ID to screen calls. If you don't know the name of the person calling don't pick up. If it is important they will leave a message.

17. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    I have had issues with this for about a year. When I upgraded my D* service to HD they cancelled my old account and created a new one. I get calls all of the time asking why I left? Very frustrating. They are from a SubK of D* and if you just tell the Sub to remove you it will not stop the calls.

You have to call into D* CSR pool and have them flag your account for no marketing calls or mailers. The Sub will not forward your opt out back to D*. Just did this last week and hopefully that will solve the problem.

pf

18. flexoffset

flexoffset Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    Cool. I'll try that.

19. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    I've done telemarketing in the past (along time ago). It was an interesting experiance and I was fairly decent at it. But YOU HAVE TO TELL THE TELEMARKETERS TO PUT YOU ON THEIR DO NOT CALL LIST. Anything short of that and you will get put on their "not interested list" and that means you get another call.

20. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Signed up for the telemarketing thing and never had a problem with D*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.