1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

A 19 year old game blackout? Really!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Sea bass, May 10, 2012.

1. Sea bass

Sea bass Icon

Jun 9, 2005
    What's the F ing deal with channel 692, L.A.Kings classics game of Leafs @ Kings from 1993 being blacked out on channel 692!!!! What the hell is sports pack really for!:nono:

2. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Who do you think owns the rights to that game broadcast? The NHL. Not DirecTV's fault.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Some people are like a puppy. First you have to show them the stick. Then you can throw it.

4. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Sea Bass;

Those classic games are blacked out so you won't even think about jumping into your time machine and going back 19 years.

5. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    My guess is that someone at Directv saw Leafs/Kings and shut off 692 in error. The NHL doesnt black out classic games.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Hoosier205 assures us that DIRECTV doesn't err.

7. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    I find it creepy that they keep track of where you lived 19 years ago just to black out classic games.

8. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey Legend

Sep 5, 2011
    The NHL usually doesn't black out these old games so I'm guessing this was an error. MLB on the other hand seems to get its kicks by blacking out games that are a decade old. Ticks me off just thinking about it!

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Really, isn't it The Tribune that codes all that stuff? It's a monumental task, and I am sure DIRECTV® can step in to make corrections, but they can't double check every program.

10. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    What in the OP's post makes you assume this was a Tribune issue and not a D* issue?

But, as Harsh pointed out, Hoosier205 and Mystery have assured us it is the NHLs fault, even throwing in a condescending post against the OP, therefore it cannot possibly be the fault of Tribune or D*.

11. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1

12. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    DirecTV, as well as every other provider did not create the black out rules. But they do have to abide by them. If DirecTV was in error then shame on them. If not, then shame on the OP, Harsh , and you for looking to blame rather then looking for cause.

13. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Sorry you couldn't watch it. Just in case you were wondering, the final score was the same as it was 19 years ago. ;) I received the sports pack as a freebee for 3 mo's. Watched my NHL teams pregame and post-game shows, so I enjoyed it. After the season ended, cancelled it.

14. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Hmm, when reading the original post, I don't see him placing full blame on Directv. He's complaining that with all the blackouts that the sports pack is lacking value, but he doesn't explicitly state who is responsible for the blackouts. You could just as easily interpret his post to place blame on the owners of those channels.

15. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    You need to re-read all of the posts. Not once did I blame D*, simply pointed out the immediate conclusion jumped to by Hoosier205 that it was the NHL's fault and not D*'s (no suprise there), followed by you piling on with your condescending post of the OP (it can be read no other way). You then "+1" on LAX's post which blamed Tribune when you had already agreed with Hoosier that it was the NHL's fault.

There were a few posts in the thread that did place the blame on D*, but those posts were not mine, not the OPs and not Harsh's, you seem to have missed them.

So save your "shame" for someone else.

16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    OK, now, can someone lay out the chain of who, where and when shows get tagged for blackout.

Additional credit for "new" "rerun" "premiere" and cast info, though I am pretty sure that's all Tribune.

No aspersions on others, no rehashing the bidding to date.....

17. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    OK, let me put it this way. The OP asked "What the hell is sports pack really for?" The answer is simple. For viewing programs and events that are not blacked out due to your location......you just have to learn to live with those pesky black out rules.

18. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    When I was 19 I blacked out at a hockey match, but then, I'd drunk too much.

That wasn't DirecTV's fault, either.

19. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    When I was 17 I blacked out during a hockey game as well, but it was because I wasn't keeping my head up and got blasted. :)

20. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Tribune is not responsible for the blackouts. All Tribune is responsible for is the information displayed in the guide.

Since each sports league/organizational body (MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL, ETC) owns the copyright to all sporting events in its organization, they have the ultimate say in what will be shown or blacked out, when and where. The games, whether old or new, are commodities to be marketed for profit. Therefore, each organization writes its own rules on who has (or can purchase) the rights to its copyrighted material. They set the prices and the purchasers (RSNs, national/broadcast networks, even the consumer when it comes to a sports subscription) decide whether the price is fair and they will pay for the access. Therefore, if a RSN wanted to show a game (or a season) nationally, they could-they would just have to pay extra for that right. However, it is usually not cost effective for a RSN to pay for the rights beyond its home team marketing area, so they don't.

In essence, it is basic Business 101-contracts, rights, ownership and all that. Nothing personal, just business.