1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

A few miles make a hugh difference in sports teams available.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dxtrfn80, Apr 17, 2012.

1. dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80 Mentor

Apr 17, 2012
    My zip code (24541)

NBA-Wizards
    NHL-Capitals, Hurricanes (with Sports Pack)
    MLB-Nationals, Orioles

Just across the border in North Carolina (Caswell County)

MLB-Nationals, Orioles, Braves, Reds (with Sports Pack)
    NHL-Hurricanes
    no NBA team, Bobcats claim only 100 miles of Charlotte.

Then I entered 24541 in the MLB schedule finder and it claims Braves games are available with the Sports Pack I got. Maybe I tune in tomorrow to see if the game is in the clear.

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Who is Hugh?

3. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Hefner or Laurie? :lol:

4. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Yes, a few miles does make a difference. The line has to be drawn somewhere. I entered 24541 at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/mlb_schedules and it shows Braves games available with Extra Innings.

5. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I think it is all in the zip code.

6. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    10% of our direct community of about 55,000 people get both the Twins and the Brewers.. the rest get just the Brewers.. but no replays.. and no team shows.. NONE what so ever.. oh and that's decided by a 50 yard streach of old river channel. some thing you can litterally throw a rock across..

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Looks like that puts you in the category of "close but no cigar". :sure:

8. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    Here's a good map for blackout questions but yes I've seen a mile change teams dramatically.

[​IMG]

9. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Nope not at all. The lines weave in and out of zipcodes.

I have a buddy in another town, gets completely different RSN's and Locals then his neighbor who is 20 feet to the east in the same zip :p

10. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    One of the worst situations is Eugene, OR. For some weird reason, the Giants and Athletics both claim Eugene in their territory. Eugene is about 600 miles away from both teams. When the A's or Giants are on OTA stations only, it's impossible to see them play.

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    Either a different provider or something else is going on. DBS uses zip codes and cable can use the physical address so things can change in zip codes for sports.

12. Mariah2014

Mariah2014 Breaking the mold

Apr 21, 2006
    Somewhere...
    They used to clam further north back in the days before fsn/ root sports and csn.

13. jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3 Legend

Aug 19, 2006
    I've put it on here before, but i'm in the NE corner of Maryland(21901,21916,21921 etc). Despite being claimed by CSN Mid Atlantic teams and MASN, we're blacked out of Flyers games. They for some reason think we're in the Flyers 100mile radius, and thus have comcast options.(which the local comcast doesnt offer CSN Philly)

Now it'd be great if CSN Philly does come to DTV since it would mean that my home RSN would be CSN Philly, and that would make a Gigantic difference in this area.

14. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    You are in the Flyers blackout area. It doesn't matter what channel is offered in the area. It may seem silly, but that is the reason. The ability to receive an RSN has no bearing as to team blackout areas. They are obviously linked to some extent, but RSN boundaries and blackout boundaries are different.

15. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Zip codes is one of the ways, but I believe they also use stuff like county lines, districts, etc.

In my home town of Rock Falls you are in a different DMA depending on if you live in Whiteside or Lee county. Whiteside county gets local channels from the Quad Cities on DirecTV, Lee county gets locals from Rockford. Houses literally across the street from each other get different local channels on DirecTV.

Comcast includes locals from both DMAs, so my parents get 2 ABC, 2CBS, 2 CW, 2 Fox, 2 NBC stations, etc.

16. jimbo56

jimbo56 Legend

Nov 13, 2007
    In the Buffalo DMA, the closest MLB team is Toronto - about 90 miles away. Yet there are no blackouts on EI for Blue Jays Games. Cleveland (200 miles), Pittsburgh (200 miles) and NY (350 miles) are blacked out. Go figure. I was always frustrated when, as an EI subscriber, the few Mets games being broadcast on a NYC OTA channel (as opposed to SNY, one of my regional RSN's) were blacked out for me on EI. At least the Yankees provided an alternate YES feed (which I got) for games broadcast on a local channel.

And from what I understand, Blue Jays games are blacked out on EI for the whole country of Canada, so if you live in Vancouver (3000 miles away), you are considered in Toronto's "local" market.

I think it's time for ALL sports to revisit their blackout rules.

17. jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3 Legend

Aug 19, 2006
    Believe me I know. I've found work arounds for years. It's just funny that we're essentially claimed by Caps and the Flyers.

18. Marty711

Marty711 AllStar

Oct 15, 2008
    The Blue Jays are aired nationally across Canada via Sportsnet. There's no need to watch them on EI. Similar to the Raptors who also have national carriage.

19. housemr

housemr Legend

Jun 3, 2009
    so does 43614 (toldeo) get reds, indians, and tigers for rsn on choice or just one? i have family that wanted to switch but on cable they get tigers on fsn detroit, reds on fox sports ohio, and indians on sportstime ohio on cable and do not want to lose them.

20. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Go here and enter the zip code.
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=3450006

Looks like they should be able to get all of them if they get the right package (Choice Xtra).