1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

A few questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mniven, Aug 25, 2014.

1. mniven

mniven New Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Charlottesvi...
    My apologies if these are extremely common questions, but I did a quick search of the forum and didn't find any posts that directly applied.

I recently had Dish service started at my home and it's the first time I've ever had satellite service. Due to some line of sight issues (hill with large tract of woods directly behind my house), the tech had to point the dish at a satellite that does not offer the local channels/networks for my area. My family is a big consumer of content on the networks, so it's an unfortunate situation.

According to my discussions with Dish, ideally I would have been pointed at the orbital 129 satellite, but I had to be pointed at the 61.5W satellite.

I have tried the OTA route, but due to hills and trees around my home, I cannot receive a good signal.

My question is: Is there any hope that my situation will change in the future, such as Dish adding my local networks to a satellite I can access? Can I make a request of Dish that could ultimately lead them to do this? Or do I just have to get used to this situation? DirecTV doesn't have any access to local networks in my area, so that isn't an option, and I have no cable service where I am located.

End of my sob story. Thanks.

2. andreab@DISH Network

andreab@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jun 25, 2014
    Colorado
    This is definetly something I can request but locals are designated to specific satellites so there are no guarantees but it never husrts to request something. If there is anything else I can assist you with please let me know.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Without LOS, you're kinda outta luck.

Hopefully when they decide to give Charlottesville HD locals, they will come from the Eastern Arc.

4. Spike

Spike Legend

Jul 4, 2007
    I have no idea if this is possible or not, but it might be something worth looking into. I know that there are companies out there that offer FTA satellite dishes. Skyvision is an online company that offers these, as an example. If you got a motorized FTA satellite dish and found out if and where on the arc the wild feed network channels were at maybe you could get your network channels that way. It would mean that you would have a two satellite system in your home, and like I said, I don't know if this would even work, but, you may want to find an online dealer like Skyvision and give them a call to discuss your situation. Maybe they can help. Just a thought.