1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions on Upgrading and MRV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by theuberprof, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1 of 23
    theuberprof

theuberprof Cool Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Here's what I've got currently:

HR22
    H21
    Series 2 DirecTivo
    Series 1 DirecTivo

Here's what I'd like to have:
    HR24*
    HR24*
    HR22 (existing)
    H21 (existing)

The Costco promotion can you give you two HD-DVRs for $99 total, and then they give you a $180 Costco Cash card. Since I'm out of contract, do you think retentions will allow me to just add the two new HD-DVRs at no charge, as well as the free installation to support MRV?

I know it's not a complete apples-to-apples comparison. My argument is that a new customer can get two HD-DVRs for -$81, in effect, so why not give a long-time customer (9 years) two HD-DVRs for $0?

As for the monthly rate, the current new customer promotion will give me the channels I want for $72 for the first year, and $103 after. Is retentions likely to match this, as well?

Finally, I was just talking with a DirecTV salesman at Best Buy. He told me that even if you have multiple HD-DVR's in the home, it's only possible to record a total of two shows at once in the whole home. He also said that you could record two live shows and watch a third live show at the same time on one DVR. Is any of this true?

I thought that three HD-DVRs would mean a total of 6 shows recorded at once, that each HD-DVR can only access two live feeds at a time, and that you can record two live shows and watch a third previously-recorded show at once.

I'm pretty sure he didn't know what he was talking about--his selling points were that cable companies give customers refurbished receivers but DirecTV doesn't, and that he could *guarantee* that DirecTV would ship me a HR24.

*I know that there's no way to guarantee HR24s, but obviously I'm hoping for them.

2. Sep 3, 2011 #2 of 23
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The Best Buy rep doesn't know what he is talking about. Nothing he told you is true.

Call DirecTV and find out what type of deal they will make you. I called in July and got a 2 HD DVRs and HD receiver for free plus the MRV install. I did get a 1 HR24, 1 refurbished HR21-100 and an H25, but that was only because that is what the local company had on their truck. If they had had all refurbished units, that is what I would have gotten.

EDIT: Welcome!!

3. Sep 3, 2011 #3 of 23
    theuberprof

theuberprof Cool Member

Jun 11, 2008
    ^Thanks. :)

Just to confirm: I'm right about the "record 6 shows at once, total" thing?

4. Sep 3, 2011 #4 of 23
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Two per DVR as always, MRV or not.

5. Sep 3, 2011 #5 of 23
    theuberprof

theuberprof Cool Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Yes, so 6 systemwide, 2 on each dvr?

Sorry to be so specific, just want to make sure before I sell my soul for two years. If I can't, might as well wait for the HR34.

6. Sep 3, 2011 #6 of 23
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    You are correct, six total with 3 DVR's.

If the HR's have access to the internet you can also download VOD while recording two shows.

7. Sep 3, 2011 #7 of 23
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Keep in mind that a DVR can only serve one recording remotely at a time. So, as an example: DVR in the living room has several recordings. A person watching the DVR directly has no effect on remote viewing, they can be watching something live or recorded. Someone in the den starts up something recorded on that DVR. If someone in the basement tries to start a recording on the same DVR, it will fail. They can watch something on one of the other DVRs though (as long as it's not already serving something else.)

8. Sep 3, 2011 #8 of 23
    theuberprof

theuberprof Cool Member

Jun 11, 2008
    I was aware of that, but thanks for pointing it out.

The problem is that on one day of the week, there are four shows on at the same time that we'd like to record. Everyone in our household likes different shows, so as long as we assign the season passes intelligently, we won't run into the issue.

Any other opinions on if DirecTV will give me the hardware upgrades and plan discounts I'm requesting, in exchange for a new two year contract?

Thanks again everyone!

9. Sep 3, 2011 #9 of 23
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, what a lot of us do is use one DVR for two local networks, the other DVR for the other two. Maybe if you watch a lot of Fox and CBS, but not as much on NBC and ABC, put Fox and NBC together, then CBS/ABC. Those are the things that don't repeat later.

It's not uncommon for them to give free or discounted hardware or credits to offset programming. If current customers can get free Sunday Ticket, it's certainly possible.

10. theuberprof

theuberprof Cool Member

Jun 11, 2008
    How did you get this deal, BTW? Retentions?

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Keep in mind that what happens a couple of months ago should not be a bench mark for today. Call and see what you're eligible for but I wouldn't expect the deals that people posted a few months ago or they would still be being posted today.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Nope. Regular CSR. I just called to check on getting MRV and they said free plus 2 other boxes free. I've been with DirecTV since 1998, on autopay, still under contract because of an HD DVR upgrade last year (not free), and I've had NHLCI since 1999. They also gave me red zone and an an21 for free.

13. frytzz

frytzz Cool Member

Sep 9, 2008
    I upgraded at the end of June. The deal I was given was 1 hr24 and internet connection kit. I ended up paying $52.00 and the rep turned around and gave me credits totaling 180.00 (10 for 12 mos) and ($10 for 6mos) and I didn't even ask for them....
    Brian

14. montanaxvi

montanaxvi Legend

Oct 2, 2008
    I always get the CSR that gives me normal pricing on anything I ever call about. I try and be nice and polite and don't act lime a fool when I call and can't even get a third of a deal that everyone else posts about. What is the secret?

15. montanaxvi

montanaxvi Legend

Oct 2, 2008
    I just swapped a R15 for an HR21 and will be looking to go whole home very soon so I need to see what kind of a deal I can get.

16. theuberprof

theuberprof Cool Member

Jun 11, 2008
    If you don't want to cancel, but want a decent offer, I'd say something like this: "I love DirecTV and would like to stay with you, but my wife keeps seeing all these promotions from Dish and Time Warner with free equipment and lower prices. What can you do to get her off my back?"

If they do nothing, say you'll think about switching and hang up. Call back and try again.

17. montanaxvi

montanaxvi Legend

Oct 2, 2008
    I just got on contract because of the R15 to HR21 that I just activated Friday.....they know I'm not leaving.

18. theuberprof

theuberprof Cool Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Just placed my order. Here's what they did for me:

HD DVR: $0
    HD DVR: $0
    Whole Home DVR Installation: $199

Changed to a different package that is $12 less than my current package, but still has the channels I want. In addition, they gave:

$25 off for months 1-6
    $20 off for months 7-24
    (this includes the free HD for auto bill pay)

So, in effect, I'm saving $798 in programming fees over the next 24 months compared with what I'm currently paying. Factor in the installation costs, and I end up saving $600, but also getting two additional HD DVRs and the MRV service.

I think I did alright--thanks for the help, everyone!

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Glad it worked out. Wait a bit and verify your order online. Hope your install goes well and you get new units.

20. montanaxvi

montanaxvi Legend

Oct 2, 2008

Dayum, nice score.