1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A First-rate Install With SWM -- Please!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Stanley Kritzik, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

I can be patient. I have a triple LNB, an HR10-250 Tivo plus a couple of other D* receivers. I want to upgrade, and do it right. I have PVC pipes laid so the installer can run RG-6 underground into the house, and I want to do it all with the minimum number of wires. In short, I want to use SWM when it is available, and a really high-quality installer who will understand SWM, will carefully aim and align a new dish, use high-quality copper wire, etc.

I am fully willing to pay for a custom install, but I want it done right, by someone who knows what he's doing. I have been sorely disappointed by the service techs that have come my way -- my best work to date has been done by -- me.

So, how can I get a first-class job done when SWM is available? Any advice will be appreciated.

Stan

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I feel your pain. My best installs have been my own. Tho I wanted all wall fishes, hidden wires, done right, etc. :)

To get a first rate install I suggest a satellite dealer for the install rather than the free professional install. Milwaukee ought to have someone who will do it right for a fee.

Good luck,
    Tom

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    ^ Agreed.

Now I'm biased. Installing home theaters and whole house music systems has become my career. Through that I have overseen jobs by a very competent DirecTV and Dish installer in my area. They do the work. I make sure it's done right. I'm usually at the job for a couple of hours after they leave to tidy things up and to check everything out.

I spent all today at a customer's house doing nothing but installing a kitchen TV. Besides being there when the cable guy arrived, I had to move an electrical jack, install another one, move a wall mount phone jack, install a remote repeater, drill through a frickin' piece of wood in the wall where no wood should have been, mount a board I'd pre-cut and painted to go between studs behind the TV and then finally mount the TV. Tomorrow morning I'm going back to finish the job, mounting the cable box and stereo receiver on the other side of the wall in the garage, cleaning up my wires and insulating the holes I used to pass the wires in and out of the garage. I will have 12 hours into this job by the time I'm done. I'll give them a break on labor but they still will pay for it, gladly. I'm mostly retired now and these folks are old customers who called me to rescue a half assed job that had been done by someone else.

Too bad I'm in La Crosse, Stanley (To you folks in the rest of the country, Milwaukeeans consider us "west coasters". No lie. That's what they call people living in western Wisconsin. :D ) As Tom said, there are tons of people in Milwaukee that can help you. I'd start with Flanners.

4. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    Thanks, Tom,

I'm going to go looking for what I need.

Stan

5. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005

Thanks, but where in the heck is La Crosse, anyway. Just kidding, of course. We're happy to have La Crosse as part of the Badger State!

Stan

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    We keep the Minneostans from flooding over the border. Damn aliens. Now if Kenosha would do the same for the F.I.B.s...

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.