1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

A Friend's Whole-Home DVR Experience

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Yog-Sothoth, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Legend

Apr 8, 2006
    A friend got a new house and decided to go with DirecTV again. After seeing my MRV setup he wanted that as well. To make sure everything was installed/set up correctly, he had me come over yesterday.

The first thing I had to fix (not directly DirecTV related) was an Internet issue; he was only getting 1.6 Mb of the 7 Mb he was paying for. It turned out to be a router issue; switching from the stock firmware to "Tomato" fixed it. I also spent quite a bit of time getting his fiancee's laptop connected via wireless; it turned out to be a driver issue.

The DirecTV appointment was for 8-12; installers finally arrived at 4, and they brought an HR22 and four H24s. My friend kept saying while we were waiting, "Comcast is looking pretty good right now." The installers had to leave a few hours later for about 45 minutes to obtain a missing part.

At around 8 p.m., one of the installers asked where my friend's phone jack was. My friend showed him, but said he didn't want the DVR connected to it. The installer replied that it should be left connected 30 days. :eek2: The installer finally called DirecTV and got it activated (with no phone line, of course), along with the H24s.

I asked the other installer why he didn't force a software update prior to fully booting the HR22; he replied, "they ship them ready for MRV." After the HR22 booted up, he noticed the option for MRV was missing... duh! Of course, he had to reboot and "0 2 4 6 8" in order for it to appear.

And for the best part: the broadband DECA. It wasn't on the work order (no big surprise), but the installers had an extra, so they made sure a coax was connected near my friend's router so it would work. At the end of the installation, I noticed there still wasn't a power adapter connected to it. I asked one of the installers about it, and he said it was connected to the receiver closest to the dish. I actually had to show him a picture of the correct power adapter, and he finally figured it out. The other installer said he would have to bring one tomorrow, and by this point my friend was looking homicidal. I just happened to remember that he had DirecTV at his old house and asked him if he still had one of his old receivers. He replied in the affirmative and went to his garage and grabbed one. We ended up connecting the broadband DECA to that temporarily (for power) just so *everything* was working before he signed the work order. :lol: I noticed after connecting it that the DECA was blinking yellow; I asked if it had been actually connected at the other end... they installers replied in the affirmative, but a quick check by my friend revealed that it hadn't, and he had to crawl under his desk to connect it to the wall plate. After that, everything worked. Hopefully, the installer will actually bring the power adapter today.

2. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    Forcing a software download DOES NOT enable MRV.

3. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Legend

Apr 8, 2006
    Right, but the unit was shipped with an old version of the software that didn't include that option.