1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

A Genie Question...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dssxxxx, Aug 12, 2013.

1. dssxxxx

dssxxxx New Member

Mar 18, 2003
    I am taping 4 shows. Can I watch 3 different channels (not the ones being recorded), 3 entirely diffrerent channels on the 3 mini's? I thought you could only watch the "same" program/channel onb the 3 mini's if one (1) tuner was available the other 4 tuners are recording?

Just curious since I am thinking of changing from Comcast...which is OK in terms of value/quality but completely useless in terms of CS.

Thanks for the help.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    If you're recording 4 shows you're only leaving 1 tuner available. You would not be able to watch 3 different shows on 3 different mini's if you were recording 4 shows, no. If you want to watch 3 different shows on 3 different Genie Mini's you'd only be able to record 2 things, and then only 1 if you also watched to watch something else on the Genie itself.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But also keep in mind, you do not have to use Genie clients. A regular HD receiver will also work. You would not be able to pause/rewind live TV or access the Genie history/Todo list etc. But you would be able to play back recordings, set a basic recording and they would have their own tuner.

Monthly fee would be the same.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The Genie is limited to tuning five channels (even if you have an AM21). That being the case, a Genie cannot tune seven different programs (four recording and three live).

You can most certainly watch previously recorded content to your heart's content.