1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

A Genie "upgrade" - is there a downside to this?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MadMac, Sep 28, 2013.

1. MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    I had an idea.....

Current setup - three HD DVRs and four HD receivers. Two of the receivers see minimal use, but I like the convenience of having them. Here's what I was thinking:

Replace one of the DVRs with a Genie, replace the two little-used receivers with a client. Move the client between the two little-used locations as needed. Ideally, the Genie would be an HR-44 for wireless capability, but I know I can't specify that. Question is, would my bill go up even though I effectively go down by one box?

2. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Reads like a good plan.

3. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    If you are already paying for whole home service, then your fees will not go up. But you will get re-upped for 2 more years of contract.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Even if they have WHDS, the TS may be jumped from the separate fees (HD, DVR, WHDS) to the Advanced Receiver Fee that could represent a $2 monthly increase (along with the 24 month commitment).

Having one less box will probably make up for any fee increase.

5. Oct 2, 2013 #5 of 17
    PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    A better idea:

Keep the three HD DVR's and replace one of the receivers with a Genie. Then do what you want with the other three receivers.

6. Oct 3, 2013 #6 of 17
    MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    Thanks to all for their responses. From what's being said, any increase would be marginal and more than offset by reducing the box total. I'm already on WH and understand that a fresh two year commitment would be triggered.

PHL - I see your thinking, but I don't need the ability to record 11 shows at once :)

Follow-up question: Am I correct in my thinking that the client effectively runs from one of the Genie tuners and as such, has all the pause/rewind/FF functionality of a DVR being used to watch live TV?

7. Oct 3, 2013 #7 of 17
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Yes. The clients are "slaves" of the Genies. They use one tuner of the Genie and can do almost everything a Genie can do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

8. Oct 3, 2013 #8 of 17
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Everything at about a step behind the Genie itself that is, due to processing and two way communication delay between client and server.

9. Oct 3, 2013 #9 of 17
    Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    If they already have HD, DVR and whole home as seperate fees, they will not be replaced with the "rolled up" fee. This is an equipment change only, no change to services.

10. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Since you're already on WH, your bill should be reduced by $6 per month with your proposed plan.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I had an idea.....

Current setup - three HD DVRs and four HD receivers. Two of the receivers see minimal use, but I like the convenience of having them. Here's what I was thinking:

Replace one of the DVRs with a Genie, replace the two little-used receivers with a client. Move the client between the two little-used locations as needed. Ideally, the Genie would be an HR-44 for wireless capability, but I know I can't specify that. Question is, would my bill go up even though I effectively go down by one box?
    do you record everything you watch?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

12. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Down Side your locked in for 2yrs - If That's not an Issue Then Upgrade

13. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Godfather

Jun 29, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    I recently upgraded to the Genie and Genie GO. Haven't used the "go" part of it, and now my sister got into ancient movies on TCM, and blew up my terrabyte drive with black and white oldies. Sheesh!

Meanwhile, because I kept the 2 original HDDVRs and got the Genie in the living room, because that made more sense than having 1 genie and 2 clients. I can record 8 shows at once, because I was too nice to make the installer crawl through the fiberglass in the attic :)

14. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Are you 100% certain of this? The rolled up fee increase is the only thing that's been holding me back. I'd already resigned myself to the fact I'd be stuck with my HR23 and H21 forever.

15. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yes...we have had all 3 charges on our account since DirecTV introduced whole home service. When we upgraded our original HR20 to a Genie last winter, we had NO increase in any fees. If you were to drop one of the services and then add it back in, then you MIGHT get the rolled up fee. But if you already are paying for HD, DVR and Whole Home as separate services simply adding/upgrading to a Genie will not force you to the rolled up fee.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I replaced an HR 20 with a Genie HR44 in July. Still have my $10 DVR, $10 HD and $3 MRV. No changes on equipment or programming fees.

17. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Awesome. Thanks to you both for the confirmation.