1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

A good IP searching tool?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by n8dagr8, Jun 28, 2005.

1. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    Anyone know of a good tool to reverse search IP addresses? I was looking at some of the stats for my webpage and was wondering where all the traffic is coming from (future employers I hope!).

I used this and a few others.

2. BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris Icon/Supporter

Apr 20, 2004
    From what I have learned, IP addresses are overseen by five regional organizations: ARIN (Canada, US, parts of the Caribbean and Atlantic), LACNIC (Mexico, Central and South America), RIPE (Europe, Middle East and parts of Central Asia) and APNIC (Asia and Pacific) and afriNIC (Africa).

Use the "Whois" search buttons from each of the linked sites above to determine which ISP operates the IP address you're researching. Each IP listing, or search result, is supposed to have contact names for the ISP, e-mail addresses and sometimes phone numbers. You'll also find that important abuse notification contact for where to report SPAM and other nefarious Internet activities. However, to use these five services, you first need to know from which part of the world the IP address is registered. Pick the wrong one, however, and it is supposed to tell you if it belongs to one of the other four organizations.

However, the easiest way I have found to track down IP addresses is to use the free SpamCOP.net services. There, you post the header information from e-mail, and they tell you from where it came.

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Ic ould not figure out how to use that site. It seemed to b ea pay site as well.

4. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    Go to networksolutions.com and click on the link called "whois" that is on the top of the page. That will give us who owns an IP address. For example if you type 68.39.35.63, it will say that is a Comcast address most likely a cable user.

5. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    www.dslreports.com/whois

If it's an overseas registration, it will tell you where to go to get more details.

6. poganinja

poganinja Guest

Hi are you looking for some other alternative tool to do ip lookup then have a look at sites like Whoisxy.com here they render whois search tool using which you can get details about particular ip address like ip owner name ,location ,address and so on .....

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    If you have access to a Linux, or other Unix type, box you can use either "dig -x" or "host", both followed by the IP, to do reverse lookups to determine domain name. If you want to know who owns the IP you can use "whois -a" followed by the IP.

8. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    8 year old thread.....