1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A letter from DirecTv-Turning off National Feeds!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rollingstone, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollingstone

rollingstone Cool Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oh hi,

I live in the Bay Area. The Locals are now availible in HD on the MPEG4 box. However there is no DVR HD MPEG4 box yet. So I use the HD TIVO box and watch the national feeds of the ABC,NBC and CBS. (FOX wouldn't give me the waiver...)

Anyway I got a letter today telling me the feeds will turn off August 2nd....So now I lose the TIVO capability on ABC,NBC,CBS. I phone DirecTV and they tell me the HD MPEG4 DVR box will be out in the fall. So I say, well then don't shut off the feeds until you can sell me a box. They say its an FCC ruling. Coincidently, all the HD locals weren't down when I was on the phone, so I said tell the FCC you locals aren't reliable yet and leave the national feeds on. But that didn't work.

I'm a little annoyed at this half baked transistion plan. I also wonder when the HD MPEG4 DVR will really be offered. Then I'm thinking, since I'll be buying new boxes, maybe I should check out DISH. This is probably not the forum to discuss DISH, but if anyone had a comment on the validity of going to DISH I'd be interested in hearing it.

-Glen

2. dgordo

dgordo Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2004
    I got the same letter about the east coast feeds and I dont even subscribe to the local HD channels nor do i have the proper dish/stb to do so.

3. keenan

keenan Godfather

Feb 8, 2005
    A little hard to tell from your post, but I'm guessing you have the H20 and are getting the MPEG4 locals? If so, that seems to be the key for who is losing those DNS feeds. So far, I have not received a letter, and I also do not have the H20.

4. dgordo

dgordo Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2004

I dont think that is the case. As I mentioned, I do not have a H20 and do not receive locals in HD but I still got the letter.

5. DConroy

DConroy Mentor

Dec 15, 2005
    Probably not the suggestion you want to hear, but...grab an OTA antenna, they're fairly cheap, and I'd be willing to bet the picture is better than anything they'll put over MPEG4.

6. keenan

keenan Godfather

Feb 8, 2005
    Could be, who knows, I may get the letter today for all I know, it will certainly be disappointing but not entirely unexpected.

7. keenan

keenan Godfather

Feb 8, 2005
    OTA reception in the SF bay area is a crapshoot what with all the hills, the geography of the area itself, plus the the large expanses of water and fog also can play havoc with the signals. rollingstone doesn't give his specific location but OTA can be very hit or miss here.

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yeah SF Bay Area stinks for reception in some places. I can sporadically get most of the stations, but the stability was so poor, I took my Channel Master 4228 down last week. I never could get a really good signal. I used to live 8 miles away in Livermore and used a $20 Radio Shack antenna (~40 miles from the towers) and had perfect reception.

I'm currently relying on the HD channels from LA, and it would be quite the bummer if they go away before the new DVR is ready. It will be sad to see the TiVo go, but I'll probably be taking advantage of the new recorder since I'm sure that the DNS will disappear once those come out. That would make my HD TiVo less useful to me at that point.

9. rollingstone

rollingstone Cool Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oh hi again,

Yes I do have the H20...which I never use. I asked if I cancelled the H20 would that help but they said no. I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains. And I did put up the biggest stinking antenna you can imagine with mast mounted low noise amps and a rotator. I did a lot of research on this, and I've quite familiar with RF theory (I'm also a HAM, KD6IOB). I sometimes get the locals...very unpredictable...bummer.

I'm hoping people will complain..ask for the HD deptartment immediatly when you get a live person. Its the lack of a good transistion plan that annoys me...which will annoy my wife...which inturn will annoy me even more :)

Glen

10. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    The problem is... it is the FCC and the true local stations that are forcing their hand.

DirecTV would love to be able to provide EVERY local to EVERY person that can see the data stream.

Bad timing with the HR20 not out yet, sure...

11. deecee98

deecee98 AllStar

Jul 12, 2006
    I have the DNS feeds east/west but not HD (yet) with a Tivo Series 2 unit. Does this mean i will loose my DNS feeds as well ? WIll i only loose them when i go to High Def ? ) (ps i do not have local channels per se, just the DNS feeds) :confused:

I would REALLY hate to loose the DNS, i prime reason why we stayed with DTV

i live in the LA area & got the waivers 6+ years ago

12. keenan

keenan Godfather

Feb 8, 2005
    I'm way north of you in Santa Rosa and have spent over $800 on antennas and equipment, 3 different antennas, 2 rotors, 3 preamps-including a extra low noise one from England, specific channel blockers, tried 4-5 different receivers--and the antenna currently sits on top of a topped 70' redwood tree.....I can get KBCW(KBHK-UPN) when the weather is just right-usually when there is an inversion layer, or some fog-clear skies, forget it, and that's about it-also the local PBS station as it's only a few miles away.

It was fun doing it, but it's a little disappointing to get such poor results, it gives you just enough to tempt you to keep trying. :D

13. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I can't speak for DirecTV on this one...
    But most of the "changes" right now are with the HD DNS feeds
    I don't know of any changes for the SD DNS Feeds

14. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    Are the HD DNS going away completely, or just in areas served with HD MPEG4 LILs? I mean, will white areas continue to receive HD DNS???

15. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't know for certain...

But they will minimally be converted to MPEG-4 (Eventually), and depending on the laws... they will probably mirror the same rules the SD-DNS follow today

16. w6fxj

w6fxj DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 10, 2005
    The letters are being sent to subscribers who live in market areas that NOW can receive MPEG4 HD locals. The HD DNS channels (80 through 89) will remain on for other subscribers that now have them until the final conversion to MPEG4 takes place. As Earl says, the DirecTv carried local HD stations are forcing this process.

Some subscribers who live in the LA and NY market areas, and whose accounts are flagged with ABC HD*, CBS HD*, Fox HD*, or NBC HD* in error may lose these channels unless they take steps to correct the errors. It took me two days and many calls to get my account removed from the August 2 kill list.

17. deecee98

deecee98 AllStar

Jul 12, 2006

how do you get your name removed from the list ? I want to get HD, but i currently have DNS feeds on my directv (non high) and would hate to loose the LA/NY feeds

18. jacag04

jacag04 AllStar

Jul 12, 2006
    The Dish Hd Dvr Was Just Lowered To $199 About A Month Ago And Covers 2 Hdtvs

19. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Did you intended for this to be in this forum?

20. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I live in the Seattle DMA. DirecTV currently offers the NBC and CBS MPEG locals but not ABC and Fox (they are supposedly negotiating, but nothing has happened yet) and I can't receive either of these OTA (ABC might be possible if I can find the right "sweet spot" on my roof but Fox is blocked by hills). Would I be eligible for the ABC and Fox DNS feeds?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.