1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A longtime customer is really FED UP with DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Lord Vader, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1 of 103
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Having been with them for 11 1/2 years and paying well over $200/month (9 receivers, several sports packages, etc.) with them, I have REALLY had it with DirecTV. Their monthly incompetence and yes, outright stupidity, has amazed even this grizzled veteran.

Two recent examples...

Last month, I sit down to watch the first round of the NCAA Tournament on my Mega March Madness (MMM) package. I was unable to catch Thursday's games but was sitting down to watch Friday's games. Imagine my surprise when all my channels are getting 721. On all receivers. I go to DirecTV.com to refresh my signal--nothing. So I call DirecTV and am amazingly told that I don't subscribe to the MMM package. Uh, yes I do. I have had it ever since it premiered many years ago on DirecTV. Furthermore, I was looking at my account online and in the March 9, 2009 bill, there it was: the $69 charge for the MMM package.

The idiot on the line proceeds to tell me while I'm looking at the line item charge of $69 that I DON'T get the package because elsewhere on the bill it says "auto-renewal no payment due," and that what I was looking at was not a line item charge. I get furious and tell him to grab his calculator and add up all the charges on the right side of the invoice, including the $69 MMM charge, and he will find that they equal the TOTAL DUE on the bill. He does so but unbelievably STILL maintains that I don't get the MMM package. I demand to talk to a supervisor who eventually then confirms that I was charged for the package and should be getting it, so it's promptly turned back on. However, no offer of any reimbursement for the fact that my family missed the whole first day of the tournament (they, of course, never told me; I found out myself when I sat down on that Friday to watch).

Now flash forward to this month. I sit down to watch some games on the MLB Extra Innings package and I notice that all my SD feeds are present, like today's games, but all my HD feeds of these games are grayed out and show ext. 721 when I tune to them. I refresh my services and, of course, nothing happens, so off to the phone I go. I'm told an amazing number of stupid things this time as well.

First, I'm told that those channels (ALL the HD ones) are blacked out and that DirecTV doesn't control blackouts; therefore, I can't watch them. So I ask the dingbat on the phone: then why can I watch all the SD feeds, and why are ALL of the HD feeds blacked out? DirecTV doesn't black out EVERY HD feed only of the games but leave the SD feeds on. Well, the imbecile cannot answer that, so she puts me on hold, goes to probably take a pee and have a smoke, then comes back to tell me this incredible wacker: "The league has pulled all those 19 channels from the guide. We have no control over those. All the regional sports networks were pulled from the league and are not viewable."

At this asinine comment I blew up and demanded to speak to a supervisor. The lunkhead becomes rather indignant, puts me on hold, then tells me that the HD channels aren't there because I don't subscribe to the package. Sound familiar? I complained, of course, to which the moron replied that I had them last week because of a free promotion for me but that this week I don't, to which I once again asked why I could watch all the SD feeds but not the HD ones. Incredibly, she tells me that the HD MLB E.I. feeds are extra and that I'd need to pay more for that!

I asked for a supervisor, who eventually came on the line. Meanwhile, I go to my bill online, look at my last few statements, and see the $44.75 MLB E.I. charge on my March invoice but not on my April one. She tells me that the package was deactivated March 17th. I proceed to tell her that of all the sports packages I have, which are several, two of them I've had since day 1: MLB's Extra Innings and the NFL Sunday Ticket, and I've never canceled either. The supervisor reactivates the package then tells me I'll be billed in 4 monthly installments of $44.75. Uh, no, dipstick. I've already been billed for one of those.

So what about not having the MLB E.I. HD channels the last 10 days? All I get is a "We're sorry." Now, I'm not one to demand the store, but this monthly incompetence has gone beyond ridiculous (I haven't gotten into what happened in January and just prior to the end of 2008!).

It's bad enough that they're screwing up left and right. It's worse when they try to make up some bullschit excuse that isn't true, then they have to keep trying others until they figure out what is really the problem.

I can only take so much, and I have to admit, I'm getting closer to telling them to take their service and shove it where the sun doesn't shine!

2. Apr 14, 2009 #2 of 103
    convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    Sounds like an email to ellen filipak needs to be written. That is all.

3. Apr 14, 2009 #3 of 103
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I fired off one to Chase Carey. We'll see what happens with that.

4. Apr 14, 2009 #4 of 103
    convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    That is another one I would have emailed to, but I am not that brave, o master.

5. Apr 14, 2009 #5 of 103
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    To recap:

1. Tuned in to watch MMM and the channels weren't coming in. Called D*. First rep didn't know what they were talking about, but after transferring to a supervisor, it was straightened out. No credit was given for the previous day when I wasn't home to watch them anyway.

2. Tuned in to watch MLB EI. Noticed that none of the HD channels were coming in. Called D*. CSR didn't know squat. Got transfered to a supervisor who was able to activate the HD channels. No credit was given for the previous day days when you either didn't notice HD wasn't coming in, or you weren't watching anyway.

6. Apr 14, 2009 #6 of 103
    roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    Wow, I would have went off the deep end dealing with all that! Maybe I'll get the opposite when I cancel my Sunday Ticket this year and get it for free instead!:D I hope they get everything straight for you.

7. Apr 14, 2009 #7 of 103
    HawkEye19

HawkEye19 Mentor

Jan 31, 2008
    And the point of this post was what exactly?

8. Apr 14, 2009 #8 of 103
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I wasn't home to watch them, but my family was unable to see them on the first day. They complained to me, but I figured it was because they didn't know what they were talking about. Little did I know that DirecTV was the one at fault and not my family's lack of intelligence.

See my answer to # 1 above.

9. Apr 14, 2009 #9 of 103
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Sorry to hear about your woes Lord Vader....it can be tough breaking in those rookie CSR's sometimes. :D

10. Apr 14, 2009 #10 of 103
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Nothing a Force choke can't solve.

Permanently.

11. Apr 14, 2009 #11 of 103
    spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    The point is that life is all about how you react to things, not the things themselves.

I, too, had to call D* twice in the past week for errors on my bill. First CSR last week didn't know what they were talking about so I thanked them for their time, called back and got someone that took care of me.

Called again today because I had been billed inadvertently for HBO the last week. Got it removed. Did I rant and rave about 1 weeks credit? No, heck we probably watched something. Did I rant a rave about the clueless CSR I got the first time? No, it happens.

I think everyone on this forum realizes there's CSR's that don't know what they're doing (especially someone that's had D* for 11.5 years). You can choose to call back and talk to someone that does or you can choose to get upset and rant and demand supervisors and then come here to post about how so many CSR's are clueless (a fact that everyone already knows).

I didn't receive my Fry's at McDonalds last week. Did I rant a rave and go to the McDonalds forum and start a long post about the fact that I'm fed up? No. I've been going to McDonalds long enough to know that sometimes they screw up. I also know that their front line employees sometimes are clueless. I know that customer service in every industry is at historic lows. But for the services I use (including McDonalds) the positives outweigh the negatives. If they didn't, I wouldn't be a customer.

D* has some negatives (as does every company), but for me (and most of the people here), the positives outweigh them. If that stops being the case, then just move on, but starting threads about poor customer service is a waste of time.

Life's too short to get upset about customer service.

12. Apr 14, 2009 #12 of 103
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree on both points.

13. Apr 14, 2009 #13 of 103
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Most of the time, I'd agree, and I've never started one when I've experienced poor customer service; but the experiences I mention in this thread, and they were only two examples of many recently, were the straws that broke the camel's back.

14. Apr 14, 2009 #14 of 103
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    ....or darkened the light sabre....:D

15. Apr 14, 2009 #15 of 103
    spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    So, which is it?

Did the camel's back really break or did it just bend? I have a feeling you're not going anywhere.

16. Apr 14, 2009 #16 of 103
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I'm generally a defender of DirecTV. Heck, I've been with them for 11 1/2 years. However, unlike others, I refuse to be so naive as to think they don't from time to time do things that are more than just unacceptable.

17. Apr 15, 2009 #17 of 103
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I'm sorry you've had such a poor experience with DIRECTV's CSRs of late. And I hope they fix everything to your satisfaction.

Alas, this thread stopped serving your needs rather quickly, so I've had to close it before it's time. (And I don't particularly like doing that.)

Good luck. Again, I hope they serve you and fix things soon.
    Tom

18. Apr 15, 2009 #18 of 103
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Received a well written PM from OP regarding closure.

First off, I didn't close this thread as a thread bashing DIRECTV. Most unfortunately, it had become a thread bashing the OP.

While I have friends at DIRECTV, the company's image is not my problem to protect. :)

And in a sense, by airing legitimate problems here, I feel DIRECTV has another channel to find these problems and address them. Making a better experience for more people in the long run.

Thread is reopened. Keep it about DIRECTV and helping Lord Vader. :backtotop

Thanks,
    Tom

19. Apr 15, 2009 #19 of 103
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Once suggestion I might make is to communicate with Customer Service via e-mail.

I have found that the 3-4 times I've done that, they respond pretty quickly...and more important...you get a person's name in the e-mail with whom you can even go back to for follow-up (and hold accountable too).

20. Apr 15, 2009 #20 of 103
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Vader,

I'm sure this is unlikely considering the incidents were a month apart... but did you happen to make a change to your primary receiver... and perhaps your packaging wasn't pieced back together properly?