1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A modest proposal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by JosephB, Jul 13, 2010.

1. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    It's clear that one of the factors that both satellite providers use to differentiate themselves from cable is the fact that they have the capacity to carry international programming from every corner of the world. There's TV from Russia, the Indian Subcontinent, China, I would venture to say almost every Spanish-language channel from Latin America. However there's no foreign English-language programming. Everyone always chimes in that they'd like to see BBC World or CBC programming on DirecTV or Dish, but it's always assumed that it'd be lumped into the standard programming packages.

So here is my proposal: What about English-language programming from around the world in a standard international package? I'd be more than willing to pay $20 to get BBC World, the CBC, Australian networks, and perhaps if it could be negotiated other BBC channels as well as the non-BBC networks from Britain and/or Ireland. Even better would be English-language channels from outside of the former British empire such as Al-Jazeera English, Russia Today in English, and so on. Am I the only person that would be willing to pay extra for this?

2. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Would absolutely love to see this.

More than willing to pay for it also.

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I'd be surprised if there weren't English language broadcasts in both Hong Kong and India that would also be appropriate for this package. You'd also want CNN International.

The biggest problem is that these broadcasts would all be in English and I'm not sure Americans will be able to understand that. :grin:

I'd subscribe.

4. deanconst96

deanconst96 AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    We used to have CCTV 9 in english from China a few years ago on Directv.

5. PWenger

PWenger Legend

Jan 24, 2003
    Count me in, as well...

But I don't expect it will happen. We might see an all news channel, but if any entertainment programs are shown (ie Dr. Who on BBC), I am sure there are all kinds of rights issues and licensing deals that would interfere.

And even if the channel is all news, the FCC might have something to say about it. For example, if North Korea starts an English language broadcast that is pure government propaganda, should/would it be allowed to be broadcast in the US? Who would monitor and determine if a channel is going down that path? Would the political agendas of the US agency monitoring them, whether they be right or left of center, affect that decision?

We think it's hard to negotiate for AMC HD, imagine what it would be like if we throw in US, Canadian, Australian, Asian, and European government regulations in the mix. My head hurts just thinking about it.

6. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    From Japan, we have the English language "NHK World" available in HD and carried in Hawaii in HD on TWC. Back when we had that HD popularity poll, I went to some trouble to get NHK World included as "available". However, I'm the only one who voted for it.

7. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Absolutely. For example, since the original poster mentioned Australian networks: I watched some TV when I was in Australia last year, and all their networks carry a fair amount of American programming, which they obviously don't have the rights to broadcast in the U.S.; that programming would either have to be blacked out or replaced. On commercial networks, they'd most likely have to black out the advertising as well, since there are a lot of companies that advertise in both countries, but have very different pricing, different offers, different products, even different logos, so they probably don't want the ads from one country to be seen in the other.

8. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Definitely a non-issue. Propaganda from all over the globe is coming thru your walls right now from all corners of the globe via shortwave radio, and our country has not jammed them for many years. Anyone with a $20 shortwave portable can listen to them all they want.

This is still a free country...:)

However, as someone pointed out, these TV channels probably do not have US rights to their programs. Even syndicated news feeds would be problematic.

9. PWenger

PWenger Legend

Jan 24, 2003
    Point taken, and I am not advocating censorship at all. But there is a big difference between the number of people still into shortwave in this country and the number of subscribers Directv has.

Increased visibility means increased scrutiny, right or wrong. And with the current political climate in this country (on both sides of the aisle), I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see some Senator adopt this as his issue of the moment, even if he legally can't do anything about it, just to establish his conservative or liberal credentials with his base. I don't see Directv wanting to get in the middle of that debate.

I am only exaggerating slightly when I say that some people on Fox News already consider MSNBC a foreign news service, imagine if they got to target a North Korean news service. Another non-issue develops into an issue.

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Huh, I thought this thread was going to be about eating children. :shrug:

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    CNNI is great. When I had U-verse I watched it a lot.. It isn't like CNN at all. They reported on world news clearly. It would be a good addition to Directv & Dish.

12. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    I agree, I travel internationally a lot and CNN Inerntational would be great. Love to watch Hala Gorani

13. deanconst96

deanconst96 AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    We used to have CNN International on Directv.

14. Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z Godfather

Jul 30, 2007
    I'd be surprised if some of the problems with international broadcasts (advertising, showing of US created programming) haven't already been resolved in the existing international packages. For example, I just got back from Italy and while there watched "NCIS" dubbed in Italian. Assuming for the moment that that was available in a D* international package, would that have to be blacked out? And I saw Nichole Kidman hawking some yogurt brand that is available in the US. Would that have to be pulled? You could assume that any D* customer in the US subscribing to an international package is multi-lingual. Thus having "NCIS" available in both a Choice and Italian International package would be no different from having it available in Choice and Australian International package.

15. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Back in the late 90s and early 2000s there was a network called TRIO. At one time it carried a variety of shows from Canada, the UK, Australia and New Zealand. I remember it having shows like Duggan (NZ), Good Guys Bad Guys (AU), various cop shows and dramas from Canada, soaps and reality shows from the UK, etc.

They gave up on this format and moved on to artsy stuff and then to the more popular "Brilliant But Cancelled" theme. By 2005 (after Directv dropped the channel) the network was shut down.

I still miss some of these shows... :(

16. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Mentor

Jun 4, 2010
    Only if the Irish channels get added. ;) :lol:

17. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    If a network has a lot of American shows that would trip up on licensing issues, then that isn't a network I'd target for such a package anyway. Plus, the steep subscription costs would presumably be to pay for licensing the networks to the US.

And as far as censorship, I wouldn't expect this package to carry every single English language network on the planet. I'm pretty sure DirecTV would opt not to carry something if it were controversial enough that the government might get involved.

18. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    TRIO and Newsworld International (CBC) were two of my favorite channels back in the day. I also remember when we had CNNI and it alternated with CNNfn, their failed financial channel. Funny how they were ahead of their time with that one, since we now have Bloomberg, CNBC, CNBC World and now Fox Business News.

I too would love to have news and general programming channels from other English speaking nations available, but I fear the only solution to carrying them would be to do as the CBC did with Newsworld and Trio, that is form an entirely new network to cherry pick the programming that isn't already shown in the states. That is probably cost prohibitive considering the niche audiences those channels would reach.

19. DaveC27

DaveC27 Godfather

Apr 14, 2010
    There are more problems with foreign adverts, The French aren't adverse to full frontal nudity when showing a shower gel advert :hurah: and ton think that BBC America pixilates every time bum cleavage is displayed. I guess DirectTV would just pre-empt adverts with local adverts

For my two penneth worth I'd love full time access to Euronews, half an hour a night on Public TV isn't enough.

When living in Europe I had a motorized dish and many countries have at least a nightly one hour English language News Programme I'd love a channel which showed them all

But I'd also like to see CNNI and Al Jazeera English too and France 24's English language channel would be nice

20. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    yes, but if I remember correctly it was only part time with CNN's financial news the rest. They both failed??