1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

A new slowness in DVR response?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JeffBowser, Nov 13, 2013.

1. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I've been taking a hands-off, might leave, might not approach to my DirecTV subscription for awhile now. Hence, I have not paid a lot of attention to software updates or the latest complaints. Forgive me if this is old hat (and it is).

Over the least few weeks (months?) or so, both my HD DVRs (21 and 23) have been responding so slowly to remote commands that I have actually gone out and gotten new remotes, tried new batteries, and even shut all the effing lights off in the house. I have even gone so far as to get into the service menu and run HDD tests, and have found zero issues. Has there been software "improvements" lately that has destroyed the ability of these already slow machines to take timely remote commands? I'm talking asking for a FF and getting it 10 seconds later. Asking it to stop FF and it refusing to do so, but running all the way to the end before it responds. Also things like pressing list and almost being able to run out for a glass of water before it populates. All this on <50% filled. What the heck, have both of my DVR's started going bad? I have a hard time believing that...

2. wxguy

wxguy AllStar

Feb 17, 2008
    central...
    I blame it on the ObamaCare website :soapbox:

3. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    When my HR23 became horribly sluggish sometime ago, it turned out to be the drive - I attached an eSATA and things were fine until the power supply died about year later.

Try attaching an eSATA and see if anything changes.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Try running the BIST "test"

5. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    BIST? Basic Information Shaping Team?

Don "I've noticed my HR22-100s a near glacial in response these days but so far reliable with storage kept > 60 free" Bolton

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Built In Self Test(s)

7. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    But of course. I knew that but not the acronym

Don "not beaten into smoldering trash OK got it" Bolton

8. onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
    My HR21-100 was doing the same thing.I ran all the utility test and everything came back fine within like 10 days my unit became so slow to commands and recorded content started to freeze during playback.I ran the utility test again and errors started to show instead of getting a refurb unit from Directv i changed out the internal drive to a 1TB drive.The only problem i see now is with channel changes,if i am on a channel for like 1 hour and try going to a previous channel or go into the guide to change channels it will take 10 sometimes 15 seconds for i guess the unit to find the right transformer.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It is almost certainly HDD problems...no matter what the tests show...I have had several drives pass every HDD test connected to an HR, but hook them up to a pc and run some real tests, none of them passed. There are really only a couple of things that can go bad on a dvr and not have it fail completely, PSU, and HDD are the 2 biggest and the HDD is probably the most likely in the case of slowness or sluggishness

10. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Have you done a reboot an as soon as it comes back up to live tv another reboot to clear out the guide data? Sometimes it needs it.

11. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    I've done all the tricks. Service menu tests, multiple reboots, every trick known to dbstalk. Last night I pressed guide and counted off 8 seconds before the guide appeared. So I have two HDD's going bad. Hmmph. One of these IS a replacement unit, perhaps this is why it was returned, and now I'm dealing with it instead of the original owner. Appreciate the comments, guys!

12. eweiner1

eweiner1 Mentor

Dec 17, 2006
    I too have noticed that receivers are slow in responding to remote control commands. i called what passes for customer service at D*, complained about the latency delay and was told by one customer service rep that it took a while for the remote control signals to bounce off the satellites and be redirected back to the receiver I was trying to control. Needless to say, I asked for a supervisor and then suggested to that person that the previous representative might require a bit more training. i also suggested that subscribers be given the option of having a non-GUI interface. I remember when receivers were lightening fast before the introduction of the GUI interface way back when.

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    "non-GUI"? You mean do everything from a command prompt? LOL

1 person likes this.
  14. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    C:/SHOWTIME/DEXTER>
    (It removed my back slashes)
    #)

1 person likes this.
  15. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Guess all of our HR23's hard drives are bad, Got nothing to do with the fact its poor build quality. :sure:

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If your HRs have that problem, try flushing the Guide data by rebooting twice quickly. That usually helps. Having decent HRs also helps. I have eleven 24s and a 20-700 and they are all very quick. The Series 21 DVRs (that includes the 22s and the 23) are slow to begin with and don't get any faster over time. They are obviously being phased out and hanging on to one and complaining about it makes little sense.

Rich

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I think you mean something more like 'sudo play /showtime/dexter/...'. The DVRs don't run on Windows.

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Have you ever read the First Look for the 23? I couldn't wait to get one and it lasted a week. I really doubt it's the HDDs that are the problem.

Rich

1 person likes this.
  19. jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
    Yet DTV continues to ship these older model as replacements or addition units. My HR22-100 has gotten slower over the last month as well. I was surprised when I received an older receiver. Seems these older refurbed models are not worth the headaches to customers or techs.

20. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    C'mon. You know darn well you have no choice in what they send you. I'm not willing to go spend the money to buy one outright, and not many are.