1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A newbee needs advice

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by note2bear, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. note2bear

note2bear New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    I'm planning to get Directv very soon, with an HD DVR. I just found out that I can get my own dvr without buying from Directv. One person suggested that I get the hd receiver from Directv, and purchase my own hd dvr. I'm new to all this. What should I do? What should I look for? which hd dvrs are reliable. Do they work with Directv? Please help a newbee out, (preferably without jargon). Thanks.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk

The HD DVR is the HR20. You should at least call DIRECTV first to see if you can get a deal on one from them. If not it does not really matter if you get it from them, from a local retail store, or from a online store. You will need to have them install a 5 LNB dish and if you need more then 4 lines you will need them to install a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch and that would be free. But it does not look like you will since you said 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver. That would only be 3 lines.

3. note2bear

note2bear New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    So, I get the H20 from anywhere, and I own it...then I get the service from Directv, and I save $ because the hd dvr is mine. I only lease the receiver, right? I've also seen some dvr's on ebay advertised with the access card. What is it? Does it save me $, or am I headed for trouble?

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    It does not matter where you get the HD DVR and the HD receiver from. They will be leased unless you pay $800 for the HD DVR and I am not sure how much it is to own a HD receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.