1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A problem has been detected in your hard drive.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by joannel, Jul 24, 2012.

1. joannel

joannel AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    I have been having trouble with my weather radar app so I decided to hit the red reset button which I have done multiple times before. Now I'm getting this message "A problem has been detected in your hard drive. The system will now scan the disk etc...". It's at 20% complete, with no errors found, and it has taken 30 minutes. I've been interested in getting an HR34, or possibly HR24, for some time, but now because this was unplanned, I'll lose a a whole bunch of shows that I have previously recorded. I really wasn't having any other issues besides slow remote response time. I currently have an HR22-100. Not sure if I should try to reset again because it may be a possible fluke, or let it run its' course, but possibly lose it altogether. Anyone have experience with this?

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Try this:

Do a red button reset, and when the dvr has fully shut down (all lights are off), pull the power plug and leave it unplugged for about 10 or 15 minutes. Then plug it back in and see if it will boot up.

If not, it's toast.

3. joannel

joannel AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks, Hasan. I hit the red reset button and when the screen was black, I unplugged the wrong plug because I have so many wires going into my surge protector. I decided to let it go and see what happened. Everything is ok now. Wow, that was odd. So maybe it's time to prepare to get a new one just in case it's getting ready to go...after I watch most of my recorded stuff. Thanks again.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    that would be wise. And write down any series links you have on this box.

5. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    And stop using the red button for resets because they can damage your hard drive. Use the menus (Menu -> Settings -> Reset -> Reset Receiver).

If you have a regular DirecTV remote and not a universal remote, press and hold Info as a shortcut to Settings.

6. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The reason I told him to RBR was because the unit was hung on boot, otherwise, I would have specified a menu restart.:)

7. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    You were right to give that advice for that case. I should have been more specific.

The OP's first sentence included that he RBRed. That is what I meant to respond to.