1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A quick antenna question

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by BKC, Feb 21, 2009.

1. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    After all the digital switching is done are the signals VHF or UHF or can they be either?

I may try to pull in a station that broadcasts in HD, it's almost 100 miles away and I need to know what antenna to look for. TIA :)

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
  3. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    After the final conversion, each station will only be one or the other.

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    From that far away you will need a good size antenna and probably a pre amp. Good luck. Let us know what you go with and if it will work. Another site to try is www.tvfool.com they will tell you what you are supposed to get after the transition and if they are VHF or UHF.

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    You not only need a good antenna and pre-amp you also need altitude, you will be shooting over the horizon. Mount the antenna as high as possible.

Input your exact address into www.TVFool.com and see how strong that signal from 100 miles away really is. For a station 100 miles away www.antennaweb.org will probably not even list it.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I found the one you'll need:

[​IMG]

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'd be willing to bet that this isn't true. I'm pretty sure there are some composite feeds that bring programming from different frequencies to the same PSIP number.

8. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    Thanks! I just ordered it. :D

9. Tower Guy

Tower Guy Godfather

Jul 27, 2005
  10. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    I've found the tower is 80.8 miles away and the real channel number is 22. Does that mean it's UHF? UHF is harder to receive right?

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I wouldn't hold out much hope for getting it unless your area is significantly higher that the transmitter, or they are like on a mountain and you are on another mountain with line-of-sight.

12. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    We always used to get it but I suppose with the digital switch it will not be as easy? I guess maybe I'll have to scrap the idea. My one local channel will probably never go with HD. :(

13. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    If you used to get it then I say go for it. You should be able to get it if you used to. You will need a good antenna and a pre amp but dont be afraid to try.

14. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    I hate to sink a couple hundred bux in it and find out I can't get it. I have a local CBS station 30 miles away but like I mentioned, I doubt they will ever be HD. I'll have to do some thinking on it I guess. :)

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Before you go chasing after UHF signals that are 80 miles away, make sure they don't have a translator that is closer. tvfool.com is usually better about showing you everything.

16. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    May I ask you what that is? I remember few years ago, after a long time with this curiousity of seeing that crane-like thing sitting high up on the hill when I was driving down either I-90, SR 31, SR 5 or SR 49, I've decided to travel towards it. After such a long time of wondering it was, I finally discovered what it was. But, what is it supposed to be? Some sort of an air museum for the area?

17. Tower Guy

Tower Guy Godfather

Jul 27, 2005
    It's a test facility used for verifying that an antenna works properly when mounted on an airplane.

The insiders call it the upside down Air Force.