1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

A Siri-controlled Apple TV may be on the way

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Athlon646464, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    A Siri-controlled Apple TV may be on the way

Soon you might be able to simply ask your Apple TV to start playing 'House of Cards' rather than fumbling through a series menus. Code found in iOS 7.1's software development kit indicates that Siri is one its way to a new device, likely Apple's set-top box. ...

Full Story Here

[​IMG]
    Engadget

2. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I don't think Apple TV or its remote includes a microphone to question Siri. Typing text into Apple TV is not an easy task. The only way I can see it might work easily would be through an IPhone, iPod Touch or iPad app.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    They could make a remote with it like Amazon's box.

4. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    My wife yells at the TV all the time. It will be very interesting when someday it finally understands her. :grin:

2 people like this.
  5. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    So You tell the Apple TV to play a show and You don't know the episode number so then it has to display all the episodes on the TV screen and ask You to choose. This is better.

Or You decide You want to watch something but want to see a listing of content so You can decide what to watch. Yup Siri would be better for that, Not.

I think I'll stay with the DVR and the WD TV Live Hub Media Center. And keep using the Remote.

6. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    I can talk to my phone to have it do stuff but I don't. I just type what I want. I don't know anyone who talks at their phone other than maybe text to speech while texting. I really think yelling at your tv isn't the way to go.

7. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I have a Nexus 7 Tablet (2013 version) and I use voice search on it all the time. It works great - quick and easy.

8. Skyboss

Skyboss Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    AppleTV needs just a couple things to take over the world:

App support for VUDU, Flixter, Amazon and any other of these "we can't make up our mind" digital streaming services. Don't need to support all apps, just streaming related apps.
    Ability to serve as a DirecTV RVU client.
    External storage or a unit with a 1TB drive in it.

AirDrop comes close, but it can be buggy.

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    AirDrop on Apple TV? Perhaps you mean AirPlay....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you can jailbreak Apple TV2 an play from your NAS or networked PC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I see them maybe allowing you to stream movies recorded on a hard drive via a app, maybe even from your computer, kind of like how you can do with music in your iTunes.

12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Apple has apps for the iPod Touch and iPad that will let you stream Amazon Instant Videos to your HD TV through the Apple TV. I can also stream most online videos to my HD TV using the Safari browser on my iOS devices.