1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Sirius Rumor?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Richard King, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 2, 2003 #1 of 11
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Rumors (and we do mean rumors) are circulating that EchoStar is eyeing Sirius, and may be putting together a bid for the satellite radio service.

http://www.skyreport.com/#Story4

2. Oct 2, 2003 #2 of 11
    Sam Spade

Sam Spade Guest

This would be cool, as I am a Sirius sub I wonder if they do this if I will get a discount.

Dish Network needs to do something with their music stations they suck!

From what I hear XM is partly owned by DirecTV so it does not surprise me to see dish for for sirius.

3. Oct 2, 2003 #3 of 11
    Doug E

Doug E Legend

Jul 6, 2002
    Or, better yet, set up a special tier on DISH (and dump Muzak) to offer the Sirius channels instead. Awesome!

4. Oct 2, 2003 #4 of 11
    GreyGhost00

GreyGhost00 AllStar

Aug 12, 2003
    There's no way Charlie would spend the $$ required to get Sirius. Plus the fact that it'd be a questionable business decision. This is likley a ploy designed to boost Sirius' stock price, nothing else.

5. Oct 2, 2003 #5 of 11
    Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    There goes my hope for a 24/7 SuperDish theme song channel.

6. Oct 5, 2003 #6 of 11
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    It would seem like another way for Dish to diversify to create additional profit.

7. Oct 5, 2003 #7 of 11
    newsub

newsub Legend

Aug 5, 2003
    In case you didn't realize sirius is seriously hurting financially. At last check in July they still only have approxomatly(sp?) 200,000 subs compared to xm's over 1 million subs.So a transaction like this would give sirius more exposure plus it would make people like me who had xm realize that sirius is commercial free and change to them like i did. Even though it costs me $3 more per month it's worth it because I don't have to listen to commercials.

8. Oct 5, 2003 #8 of 11
    Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Why cant Dish buy Xm instead. Why does Dish always have to be the underdog in this? Besides I have Xm already and would love to have them on my Dish music channels . Then I wouldn't have to take my radio receiver out of my car and place it in my house radio kit just to listen to Xm radio.

9. Oct 5, 2003 #9 of 11
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Because Dish could get Sirius a good bit cheaper I bet than XM and the sub count difference may not matter as much if they can get some get a lot more exposure, using some of that money they save on some good promotions to gain more subs.

Having a large Dish Network dealerbase would help Dish increase Sirius sub counts.

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    No thanks Mike. I don't want Dish to get it's hands on XM, XM is doing just fine. I could just see Charlie doing some house cleaning moves to save money. I wouldn't mind XM channels on E* in theory, as long as the xL channels remain uncut, but I don't want any buyouts. I have no emotional ties to Sirius, I may get Sirius one day, but I would like them to remain independent.

DirecTV is an investor in XM and has marketing agreements with them, most likely due to their GM ties, but the relationship is still there.

11. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Aw........ shucks!!! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.