1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

A warning to those cancelling DirecTV service...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Rambler, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Rambler

Rambler Icon

Nov 9, 2006
    I recently cancelled my D* service, and thought I would give an FYI/warning to those who will be doing it also. When calling D* to cancel, I was told that I would receive a final billing notice for any amount still due including any early termination fees. I was also told that if the bill was not paid within about 6 days of receipt, that payment would automatically be charged against the credit card I had on file with D*. Fine, or so I thought...

Without notice, DirecTV charged my CC for the balance amount within a few days. So be forewarned - no matter what the CSR told you:
    - You will not receive a final billing notice.
    - You will not have the option to select a payment method.
    - You will not receive any type charge notification.
    - Any overdraft or NSF fees incurred as a result of the D* charges to the CC acount on file will not be reimbursed.

Just a warning to those about to cancel (and my need to vent), and I hope this information will help reduce or eliminate any headaches that I endured because of this D* service cancellation.

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    How many months early were you leaving? If it was not alot then the fee should not of been very high.

3. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Note also that if you have paperless billing, you won't receive a final bill.

4. Rambler

Rambler Icon

Nov 9, 2006
    I just had a HD receiver installed, so it was about 23 months worth of ETF I had to pay back. I knew this when I terminated, but I did not expect the above to happen.

I had not signed up for paperless billing, I always received a bill from D* in the mail.

5. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    You cancelled after one month? Can we ask why?

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Isn't it just as simple to stop the auto pay at the time of termination?
    I know when I thought I might be leaving, I did stop auto pay, then checked out my local cable service.

7. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
  8. Rambler

Rambler Icon

Nov 9, 2006
    I was actually with DirecTV for over 6 years, but just had an HD receiver installed before the cancellation. My primary reason for cancelling was my internet service, and the issues I was having with it. AT&T U-verse became available in my area with the internet download speeds I wanted, and offered a total package price for TV, internet and phone that's about $50 less per month than what I was paying for the combined services (DirecTV and AT&T phone and DSL) previously, and with better internet VoIP phone now.

I was willing to wait it out with DirecTV but the new HD receiver install was nothing less than a fiasco, and was what pushed me over the edge to cancel. A tech came out 3 times to fix issues with the install and it still wasn't working right, causing our 3 household TVs to lose picture or intermittently lose picture. We were fine up until the new HD receiver install though.

9. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    You don't have to be in auto pay. CC on file

This is from the agreement.

10. Rambler

Rambler Icon

Nov 9, 2006
    I never had auto pay with DirecTV.

Yes, I did. But I didn't think I needed to read it before cancelling. The DirecTV rep who took my cancellation order stated that I would receive a bill in the mail with the final amount due. I didn't think not to take them at their word when they stated this. :rolleyes:

11. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Reps like those just makes companies like DirecTV look bad. When really DirecTV and all other companies are good companies and they provide the info for all teh reps, but the reps just don't take the time to tell the customers the info.

12. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    I know it's too late now :(

Step #1. Cancel CC DTV has on file (Call CC company tell them it is lost)
    Step #2. Cancel DTV service.

13. Rambler

Rambler Icon

Nov 9, 2006
    Thanks, lesson learned now though. This whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth for DirecTV. And it's not really the money part, but the principle of the thing. If the retention dept (who I got transferred to) had simply told me how the remaining payment would be handled, then I wouldn't have an issue. I really wanted Verizon FiOS for internet, but it's still not available in my area. If it does arrive then I'll be switching to that, but unfortunately D* won't be getting any more of my TV business.

14. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    The real issue is:

Should a Directv customer have the expectation that what a CSR tells them is correct?

The answer is YES.

Reality? Not a chance.

I do not think Directv is any better/worse than any other company on this issue. Low wages, poor training, confusing offerings, etc all contribute to a terrible customer service experience.(and add to this that some customers are not clear in asking their questions or making clear exactly what resolution they want)

I monitor my Directv account on a regular basis. (especially after I have made a change)

Bruce

15. Rambler

Rambler Icon

Nov 9, 2006
    You're absolutely right Bruce. But my information came from a retention dept rep, who should know how the cancellation process goes. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one they've had to cancel service for. ;)

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Overdraft fees and late charges aren't tied to the unfulfilled remainder of your DIRECTV commitment.

17. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I have been a DirecTv customer for more than 12 years now. I've never had a credit card on file with them and i've always paid my bill by check.

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Suffice it to say that they don't work that way anymore and haven't since the recent churn reduction initiatives were put in place about four years ago.

They now require a credit card and typically do at least a cursory credit check on ALL prospective customers.

When you came on board, the SAC was probably a single digit percentage of what it is now (now around $708)

19. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I guess I am another old timer as well, I want something from D* and they send me a bill. :)

20. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    I learned my lesson two months ago:
    online billing: good
    automatic CC charges: bad