1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a1allen

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by a1allen, Nov 12, 2008.

1. a1allen

a1allen New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    how do you force a download on a h21 rec

2. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    if you really need one, (and I am not sure you do) you do a red button reset, and on the hello screen you press 02468 on the remote

3. a1allen

a1allen New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    thanks curt,thats what i needed.

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I've got HRxx's but not just an HD receiver, but is there not a menu reset option on the H2x's? Granted there's a difference between an RBR on a receiver versus a DVR, but just wondering if an RBR is really necessary for that.

Nothing but curiosity.

I agree, though, that I'm not sure why a forced download would be necessary.

5. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    New receiver (With old software) is only thing I can think of.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It is very, very rare to have to force a download; receivers that see a newer software version in the datastream will automatically download it and reboot themselves. The only time forcing should be necessary is when you are installing a brand new receiver and don't want to wait the 5-10 minutes for the first update to happen.

7. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Yes, there is a menu option for restarting the receiver. It's in the same menu item as a Reset to Factory Defaults and Reset everything.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm moving this to the standalone receiver forum.

9. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    RBR is far easier than navigating through all the menus

10. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    True, and probably fine for a receiver, but not a course of action people with a DVR would want to take in place of going through the menu reset first.

So folks out there with DVRs - if you're reading this, try resetting when necessary using the menu reset option. If everything is unresponsive, then try the RBR.

This has been a public service of ... well ... this has been a public service. :)