1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABC/ESPN Reverse Mirror Blackouts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Steady Teddy, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Sep 5, 2009 #1 of 27
    Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    Where I live, Western Michigan at Michigan will be televised today on the local ABC station in Detroit and the Georgia at Oklahoma St. game SHOULD be televised on ESPN 2. If last season is any indication, the Georgia-Oklahoma St. game will be blacked out on ESPN 2 HD and may also be blacked out on the ESPN 2 alternate channel. Anyone know if the same policy is in place for this season?

Thanks

2. Sep 5, 2009 #2 of 27
    AlexP

AlexP AllStar

Apr 11, 2006
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #3 of 27
    Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    Thanks for the link.

That sucks.

4. Sep 5, 2009 #4 of 27
    CincySaint

CincySaint AllStar

Jan 16, 2008
    Well what sucks worse is that the reverse mirror is not working at all for me here in Cincinnati.

I can't get the GA-OSA game on ESPN2 -- same stupid "not available in your area" as the HD version.

5. Sep 5, 2009 #5 of 27
    Dcm210

Dcm210 Godfather

Jan 17, 2009
    well you could go on ESPN360.com or call DTV and find out what they did wrong.

6. Sep 5, 2009 #6 of 27
    BetterThanMost

BetterThanMost Mentor

Sep 24, 2008
    We didn't get the OSU/UGA game either. It was listed as being on channel 211, but there was a "Game blacked out" note when 3:30 rolled around. We got Wake/Baylor on ABC and Western Michigan/Michigan on ESPN2, which I couldn't understand, seeing as we are 2.5 hours from Athens.

7. Sep 5, 2009 #7 of 27
    weaver6

weaver6 Icon

Nov 2, 2005
    We also didn't get the OSU/UGA game. I let the system do a search for the game, and it came up with channel 570, and said it exceeded my pre-set spending limit. I assume that is an ESPN Game Plan channel.

8. Sep 5, 2009 #8 of 27
    Dcm210

Dcm210 Godfather

Jan 17, 2009
    570 is something else but deff not sports. well as a Georgia fan that game sucked and this season is not looking good.

9. Sep 6, 2009 #9 of 27
    jleupen

jleupen Legend

Jul 26, 2007
    Yes, I had the same problem (also in Cincinnati). Michigan was on ABC and ESPN2HD was blacked out. I called and argued with the CSR at Directv. She kept trying to sell me Gameplan to get the GA game.

I did finally find the game on channel 211, but it was in SD... :nono2:

10. scoop8

scoop8 Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    Dallas TX
    Guys, I need your help with this issue. Correct me here if I have this wrong:

This "reverse mirror" thing means that, unlike last year, you don't require GP to see the out-of-mkt ABC/ESPN 3:30et game. That game can now be seen on ESPN2 or another one of the alt ESPN feeds. Example: We saw the Georgia/Okla St game in the Dallas mkt with the Michigan game available on ESPN2. Last year, we would have had to subs to GP to see the out-of-mkt game on one of the GP channels.

Is that right? Is this new to this season? Is this one of the benefits we're seeing with that new ESPN contract?

The other question is about the "SEC" network. Are they offering their games in syndication to the RSN's around the country? I was able to see the Tenn game on several RSN's.

Is this SEC network new due to CBS not carrying the SEC games like last year?

11. mgoblue99

mgoblue99 Legend

Dec 11, 2007
    No, that's not right. This, as far as I understand it, is no different than last year. The Big Ten has a deal with ABC/ESPN. If the Big Ten has a game that's being televised by ABC somewhere in the country, but not in your region, you'll get the Big Ten game on ESPN2. No matter what ABC is airing in your region, you'll have an opportunity to watch the Big Ten game. This weekend, though, there were 3 games. If your primary game on ABC wasn't the Big Ten game, you would have had two games on: your ABC game, Big Ten on ESPN2. The third game is still available only via GamePlan, I think.

Someone confirm or correct this, please.

12. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    I wish I could find one of the other many times I've tried to lay this out. Last week there was the UM/WMU and UGA/OU game on the reverse mirror. There are three resulting situations:

Situation A: UM/WMU is on your local ABC. This means you'll see the UGA/OU game in SD on the ESPN2 alternate feed.

Situation B: UGA/OU is on your local ABC. This means you'll see the UM/WMU game on ESPN2/HD.

Situation C: BU/WF is on your local ABC. Due to the BigTen's contract with Disney, you'll see the UM/WMU game on ESPN2/HD. (To see the UGA/OU game you'd need to pay for GamePlan)

So, for week 3 (since UM/ND is the only 3:30 game for week 2) the situations are as follows:

Situation A: UA/Iowa is on your local ABC. You'll find the Neb/VT game on ESPN2 or an alternative ESPN2 feed (the primary ESPN2 game has not been decided and the primary ESPN2 game is in HD)

Situation B: Neb/VT is on your local ABC. You'll find the UA/Iowa game on ESPN2 or an alternative ESPN2 feed.

Situation C: UW/USC is on your local ABC. You'll find the UA/Iowa game on ESPN2 or an alternative ESPN2 feed. (To see the Neb/VT game you'd need to pay for GamePlan).

It is both simple and complicated. The BigTen game will be available nationally, either on ABC or ESPN/2 (Simple). Complicated: The game that is also slotted for ABC and ESPN/2 (let's call that Game B) will be available where Game B is on ABC or the BigTen game is on ABC (placing Game B on ESPN/2). When you throw a third or fourth ABC regional game into the mix, Game B is lost for those markets as the BigTen game will be on ESPN/2 in those regions.

13. the_batman

the_batman AllStar

Sep 20, 2007
    The "SEC" network on local NBC station in Raleigh, NC. In the heart of ACC country. Finally real football.

14. mgoblue99

mgoblue99 Legend

Dec 11, 2007
    The biggest gripe I have with this whole thing is that you sometimes lose the HD feed with the reverse mirror, at least in years past.

15. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    Yes, that is because ESPN doesn't provide HD feeds of their alternate feeds. If they did, I'm sure DirecTV could figure out how to provide those as they do for the BTN feeds.

16. scoop8

scoop8 Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    Dallas TX
    Terry,

Thanks for the expl! First-rate post for me, anyway, since I've never understood the scanerios of the reverse-mirror format.

I cancelled GP for the first time this summer since I wasn't using it enough the past few years. There was an occasional out/mkt ABC 3:30ET game that I'd watch but that was mostly it for me. I'm trying to do without GP for an "eval" season and see how it goes.

17. scoop8

scoop8 Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    Dallas TX
    Let's see if I paid attention in class :D

Dallas Mkt 3:30pm EDT ABC/ESPN games for this Sat 09/19:

We're getting the Neb / VT game on our local ABC affiliate. That means that, due to the Big Ten contract, we must get the Arizona / Iowa game on ESPN2. This means, since there are more than 2 ABC/ESPN games scheduled at 3:30EDT, the USC / Washington game will be available only on GamePlan.

How was that?

18. Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    That is correct.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    Yep and the Iowa/AZ game will be carried on the ESPN2 primary channel with the full HD treatment.

20. scoop8

scoop8 Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    Dallas TX
    Red Dog, thanks,

BTW, what site did you get those coverage maps? I didn't see the maps like you posted on a couple of sites that I checked.

[edit] I checked http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm again. I missed that map earlier.

Thanks for the HD tip. I missed that earlier on one of the 2 sites I checked.