1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABC orders 2 New Series

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by LarryFlowers, May 14, 2010.

1. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    ABc has given the Green Light to Shonda Rhimes’ (Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice) new medical drama "Off the Map".

ABC also gave the go-ahead to a new procedural called "Body of Proof" starring Dana Delany.

2. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I would think Dana Delany would be a sure shot. She is a phenomenal actress. I still remember China Beach.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ABC has received the message loud and clear: Enough with the stupid 'reality' shows. Drama, comedy and nature shows are the way to go.

I would watch Dana Delany toast bread.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Not to change the subject, but here's a blast from the past
    some of you may well recall -- the opening sequence from
    China Beach. It continues to move me in ways I still
    don't understand.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zc_-RTvyijc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zc_-RTvyijc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    China Beach. We loved that show, partly because my wife's late younger sister was an Army Nurse who served in Vietnam and a person who could easily have been a TV show character.

When they did the special on WE (2006?) that included the two hour pilot movie of "China Beach," a one hour special about the Vietnam Nurses Memorial narrated by Dana Delany, then a Special Episode called "Vets" with women who were nurses over there, I recorded it and edited it to include photos and video of her as a record for the grandkids to watch some day.

We became fans of Delany and Marg Helgenberger beginning with that show and will, of course, watch "Body of Proof."

6. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Except they've just canceled a handful of drama and comedy shows and kept all their reality shows.

7. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    Yeah, I think anyone who thinks that magic is happening, and they're going to their scripted teevee wet dream is going to suddenly come true, is going to be disappointed.

8. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Completely agree!! That opening gave me goosebumps and lumps in my throat. It still does. What a fabulous show. I loved every minute of it.

I remember the special on Lifetime as well - with the real Army Nurses discussing the war in-between frames. It was so moving.

I particularly remember the year it was on during Desert Shield/Desert Storm as my husband was deployed in August of 90 and any show about war had me in tears most of the time.

9. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I had the privilege of working with Bill Broyles, ex-Marine and creator of China Beach, when he was the managing editor of Newsweek in the early '80's. Wow was he a creative guy! After China Beach, he wrote the screenplay for Cast Away and co-wrote Apollo 13's.

10. Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    Another medical drama? Ugh.

11. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    This sound pretty different from the myriad hospital dramas that we've been seeing a lot of over the years.

12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Anyone remember "Wonderfalls" and wonder :)sure:) what happened to the star Caroline Dhavernas:

[​IMG]

Well, here you go from ABC's press release, March 2010:
    This description and ensemble cast has a Shonda Rhimes' magical touch feeling to it. Don't write it off. I wonder if ABC will schedule it at 8 pm on Thursday to kill it or at 10 pm Wednesday after their comedy lineup to give it a chance?

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Sorry, I've got enough drama in my life. I like light entertainment and this doesn't seem like my cup of tea. But I wish success to all involved.

14. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well if you're looking for light entertainment, this certainly won't be "Wonderfalls.";)

15. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    I highly recommend Modern Family though, if you aren't always watching...

16. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I have a lot of 'Modern Family' episodes on my DVR. I like all the characters but one - the father that 'tries to act cool'. When he's doing his shtick I just want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon wishing that the entire family would yell at him to GROW THE <BLEEP> UP!