1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABC Sports regional alternates

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Sousaphil, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 13
    Sousaphil

Sousaphil Cool Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Hi all,
    I just had my DirecTV installed a couple days ago with great anticipation of the September HD additions (and the Big Ten Network).

One question I couldn't find an answer to by searching:

Does DirecTV offer the alternate feeds when ABC splits the country for college football? I'm a Big Ten fan (Wisconsin) living in PAC-10 country (Phoenix).

Many thanks.

2. Aug 3, 2007 #2 of 13
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    No... well... maybe as part of the ESPN GamePlan...

But since ABC is part of your local channel carraige.... unless your local affiliate is offering that 2nd game on a 2nd channel...

DirecTV probably won't have it (at least I don't recall them having it in the past)

3. Aug 3, 2007 #3 of 13
    Sousaphil

Sousaphil Cool Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I see.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

4. Aug 3, 2007 #4 of 13
    Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    Everything is different for Big Ten games than it has been in the past. There will be no Big Ten games on Game Plan this year. If there is a game on ABC regional and it's not shown in your region, it will be moved to ESPN or ESPN 2. (conversely, the game that is being shown on your ABC will be on ESPN or ESPN 2 in the other areas.) All other Big Ten games will be on the Big Ten Network.

There are a few exceptions with Big Ten road games, as they do not control the tv converage when on the road.

Looking for a link with all this info for you.

5. Aug 3, 2007 #5 of 13
    tedvan

tedvan New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    That is something I did not know. Thanks for clarifying.

tv

My original post has been deleted.

6. Aug 3, 2007 #6 of 13
    Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    Here's the part about Game Plan.
    http://www.bigtennetwork.com/managex/index.asp?ArticleSource=418

7. Aug 3, 2007 #7 of 13
    Sousaphil

Sousaphil Cool Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Wow, thanks for the tip Koz.
    There are thousands of fans that are sweating because of the standoff between the BTN and cable companies.

DirecTV's carriage is reason #1 why I made the recent switch...and I won't be the only one.

8. Aug 3, 2007 #8 of 13
    Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    Yup. If you like sports, D* is the place to be.

Go Blue!

9. Aug 3, 2007 #9 of 13
    Madison Hawk

Madison Hawk AllStar

Jul 10, 2007
    You are correct for ABC Saturday afternoon regional games. According to the BTN, the only exception is Saturday night ABC regional games, which will not automatically be shown on ESPN or ESPN2 and still may end up on GamePlan.

10. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    I hadn't read that about the evening games possibly being on Game Plan. Do you have a link?

Here's a link regarding Big Ten afternoon games. Took me a while to find it.
    http://broadcastengineering.com/newsrooms/Big-Ten-Conference-20060623/

11. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Non-conference games where the Big Ten team is on the road can still be on Gameplan--day or night.

12. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    BTN plans to carry 4 games at once at certain times. Hooray for overflow channels!

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The non-Big Ten ABC games out of market should be on Gameplan unless they are pushed to ESPN for a region. This is how all games were before BTN and I doubt that part will change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.