1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Able to get HD channels since installing new smart card...or is it falling leaves?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by hackwriter, Nov 2, 2008.

1. hackwriter

hackwriter Cool Member

Dec 26, 2005
    I've had problems getting some of the HD channels since getting my receiver. The installer said that one of my big oak trees is in the way of the signal. I've been able to get CNN, Food Network, HBO, Discovery, Showtime, and a few others intermittently, and my locals in HD consistently. I got the new smart card (my 722 didn't have a card at all before) on Friday, installed it Saturday, and suddenly I can get all the HD channels. The oak still has a fair amount of leaves still on it. I'm wondering if the smart card may have helped my signal. Does anyone know what the new card does?

2. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    The new card allows DISH to use a new encryption system to prevent the hackers from stealing the signal.

It could be that just enough of the signal is getting through the tree to allow you to watch the channels you were missing. If the tree is the problem you are going to have the same problem (or worse) in the spring. I would call dish and get the problem fixed now so you don't have to worry about it again. It could be as simple as moving the dish or you may need another dish (pointing at the 61.5 satellite) to fix your problem.

3. Wildman63

Wildman63 Mentor

Dec 23, 2006
    Don't want to poop in your mess kit, but I had to move a dish when a tree grew into the path to birds. The offender was a 50+ ft fir that caused the problem at our house. The dish(es) have been working fine on the garage roof for a couple of years. It's not as pretty an installation now, but it works.