1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? about 722 temperature

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by bnewt, Nov 22, 2008.

1. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    My average temperature is 116. Is this normal or will it cause problems? I have another unit that has 107 average temperature.

2. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    116 is fine. you're ok until it gets up closer to 130 or higher if I recall correctly

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Hi: 136°, Lo: 120°, Ave: 125° ... and nearly three years in the same location running about that warm. No worries.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    After my mod - new fan installed - 9/22/08 the temperature values 11/02/08:

High -----100°F
    Low ------77°F
    Average - 91°F.

5. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003

Did you install a new fan in your unit?

6. nicedeboy26

nicedeboy26 Legend

Jul 27, 2007
    You do not OWN the box! Screw it if the darn thing heats up because guess what? Not your problem. Mine is 127 high, 110 average, and 90 low.

7. bartendress

bartendress Godfather

Oct 8, 2007
    I hope you make these same comments to your friends before they loan you any tools or equipment... ... ...

FYI- Some people do opt to purchase their receivers. And whether we lease or own, we should exercise reasonable measures to care for the equipment. Not only is it simply the right thing to do, it means we're doing our part to ensure we can enjoy our service without interruptions.

8. duffasaurus

duffasaurus Cool Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Is there a diagnostic in the 722 to read the internal temperature??

9. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    Menu >6 >3 >Counters > Page down, till you see them.

10. nicedeboy26

nicedeboy26 Legend

Jul 27, 2007
    You have to be real stupid to opt in to buy one! As for friends, I don't have any because I can not stand STUPID people. If the company really cares about temperature, let them put the money out to replace the fan and fix the problem! Hmm.... lets think, companies could care less about recalling products because they don't want to put a simple fee bucks out. That will actually be a big improvement and save money in the long round but they are BULL HEADED. (DishNetwork, DirectTV, Ford, etc) I have proof if anyone wants to see it! I'm still really upset about this topic because companies charge you upfront for the freakin UNIT, then charge you a montly fee to RENT it, monthly fee to use the DVR function, and then the usual monthly programming fee. Its not an open and shut purchase. You have fees, and even more fees to make it work! Complain to the companies that took your money and still are taking your money every month for it WORK! If you do call and complain... guess WHAT? they only send you out a refurbished unit that 9 out of 10 times has more problems then a simple temperature issue! (personal experience with 10 cases) I'm really not in the mood today for stupid people!

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yeah, another one. Damn. And stop calling ppl, you look as a person from same category.

Back to the question - I own it, I'm engineer and after research the issue I did find a solution ( engineering one), implemented it and did share with ppl ( and those Dish designer who missed key point of build cooling system ) by postin in Internet.

The solution is disconnect old fan, install new one and keep running it at low voltage 24/7. Details and pictures, step by step process posted at other site.

12. rdopso

rdopso Legend

Jan 26, 2004
    My new 722 seems to run far cooler than my 622 -- why would that be?

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Many factors, first one - location and air flow. Plus you will see the changes of temp measures not often.

14. bartendress

bartendress Godfather

Oct 8, 2007
    Wow. I didn't realize I you were the one and only SMART person on the planet. Do you have some special salutation you'd prefer we use when we address you? If not, have some suggestions.

But THIS topic, is not about YOU... it's about the OP and his inquiry. The OP merely asked what was the 'normal' operating temperature for the unit. The rest of us are trying to help him.

To add stats to the others for comparison, mine are:
    High: 140
    Low: 114
    Avg.: 127

15. unclephil

unclephil New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    p smith, can you point me to where you posted your fan replacement solution?

16. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Let me guess. You were a Communications Major in college. :lol:

17. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    Your comments don't seem to jive with your screen name.:confused:

18. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    Anyone know when the the counters for this reset? Does it survive a hard reboot, or are these averages from the day the box was put into service?

19. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Folks play nice!!

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yeah, it will survive hard/cold reboot. Nobody knows how the numbers updating; but checking weekly does show the difference.