1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Absolute Minimalist MRV using Ethernet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Ted M, May 17, 2010.

1. Ted M

Ted M Cool Member

Mar 18, 2010
    I have an HR24 (coming today) and an HR23.

Do not want to connect to my slow satellite Internet.
    Nor do I want to use Media Share, VOD, etc.

What is the most simple way to get MRV using the Ethernet ports, and not use DECA?

Would just connecting a CAT6 cable between an Ethernet port on each DVR work? Then call D* to get the unsupported MRV?

Thank you,

Ted

2. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    That should work, you *may* need a crossover ethernet cable. I am not sure how DIRECTV's boxes are set up in that regard. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that. Of course, since one box is an HR24, you would only need 1 DECA in order to get MRV over coax (assuming you already have SWM).

3. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    A direct ethernet connection will work, if that's all you want.

If you want a coax connection, and assuming you have a SWiM-based system, you can use one DECA module for the HR23 and your existing coax wiring.

4. Ted M

Ted M Cool Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Thanks for the replies.

Forgot to mention, I have a non-SWiM setup.

Ted

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    A crossover cable is not required.

6. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    That would be ideal from an MRV "purist" standpoint.

You could even connect them both to a $15 10/100 switch and it would work just as well. A switch would also allow you to add more boxes to your "dedicated" MRV cloud as well.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    If you did do a direct connection between DVRs, would you still need to enable MRV with DirecTV? Probably yes!

8. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'd say for sure.

9. larryk

larryk Legend

Aug 17, 2006
    Yes...