1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolutely essential software..

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by John Corn, Jan 16, 2003.

1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I was wondering what software you folks install as must-have's when you get a new system....I'm not talking about massive, specialized software packages that are great (Photoshop), but programs every single person should have on their machine. Programs that when you see a computer without it you just say to the owner---you fool! ;)

Can be free or shareware or commercial, but they should be essential and something you want on your computer seconds after you boot into your OS for the first time.

A couple of mine are:
    1. IrfanView for viewing images
    2. Callwave internet answering machine

2. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    1) Anti-Virus (with active subscription) should be on every PC.

2) Some form of backup program To Tape or CD-RW/DVD-RW (Seagate Backup or Ghost)

3) Firewall SW (if have a firewall router and only at home ok, but if travel absolutley)

4) A WinZip/PKZip type program.

Can't think of anything else, Perhaps a Norton Utilties type program for repair, but many utils now included in OS

3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    It varies. I usually end up putting in TweakUI or a variant thereof just to remove the "Shortcut To" and that silly arrow.

I used to put in TimeRC to set the clock under Windows through the Internet, but Windows XP has basically included a time setting utility.

For terminal programs, I install TeraTerm Pro. Not only is it a telnet client, but it also allows you to communicate through a COM port..... handy when setting up equipment. I also use PuTTY, which is a freeware Telnet client that includes SSHv2 support.

WinAmp is a definate must, as it plays all sorts of music formats. Kinda better than Windows Media Player, but I haven't played around much with WMP9.

Adobe Acrobat is also a definate must, as it is a de-facto standard in reading on-line documents.

I've also replaced the standard Notepad program with a better freeware program called NotePad Plus, which has more functionality and allows me to have several text files open at once.

4. Timco

Timco Woof! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 7, 2002
    WinZip - I don't know how to survive without it...

5. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    GIMP
    Mozilla
    Voyetra Turtle Beach AudioStation
    OpenOffice.org

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    MS Office XP Pro
    Dreamweaver MX