1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolutely wrong to mount dish on roof?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by cameron119, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cameron119

cameron119 Legend

Feb 2, 2004
    I have my dish mounted on my roof (easy access for snow clearance). The screws are sealed, etc. The roof is slanted. Is it okay for it to be installed there?

2. greggg

greggg Legend

Dec 3, 2003
    I myself don't like it on the roof I have mine on a pole, but almost everywhere I see a dish it is on the roof. I live in a wind tunnel and was concerned about that.

3. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    I have mine on the roof just like you said. It was here when we moved in. The house is a single-story house and sits on top of a hill, so the dish is now the tallest object around, and living in Kansas... home of Tornado Alley... I'm having it moved when I get my new 522/322 installed on the 19th... Something about not wanting lighting to hit it.

If it is sealed up, I don't think you have to worry about leaks in your roof. I also don't like the coax cables running across my roof that much, I think it just looks tacky.

4. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I don't see why it's particularly a problem to mount it on the roof. Many professional installers believe that this is just fine, although I'm sure there are others who would argue for other solutions as well.

But "absolutely wrong"? I don't think so.

5. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    Ive got 5 dishes mounted on my roof with no problems...2 were there when I moved in (Dish500 & wing)

6. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I have mine mounted right next to my chimney in the middle of the back of my 2nd story roof. The chimney blocks the majority of the wind & snow. It's screwed directly into a rafter, so I'm not too worried about it. I like it's current location as the chimney helps hide it from view. If you really look, you can see it from the back, but otherwise, it's like it isn't there, unlike many other people who end up puting it on a gable or eve and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

7. Kagato

Kagato Godfather

Jul 1, 2002
    I thought you could get non penitrating roof mount that slung over the roof ridge. You slap it over the ridge, strap a bunch of concreate blocks to it and it's not going anywhere.

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    There is nothing wrong with a roof mount - my dish500 is on a tripod so I can clear trees. I can certainly understand the preference for putting the dish where you can get to it for snow / ice access, though. - I would if I could...

9. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Roof mounting is sometimes necessary, but I look at it as a last resort. The roof is your protection against leaks any time you puncture it you are asking for trouble. Asphalt roofing shingles are good for 15 to 25 years as they age they dry out become brittle. If your dish is mounted on the roof it has to be removed to put on a new roof, very few roofers can realign a satellite dish so it becomes an additional cost to the roofing job along with loss of TV while repair is done. Roofing material also expands and contracts with changes in outside temperatures so any seals around the dish mount will eventually fail.

10. Broadband Lab Rat

Broadband Lab Rat AllStar

Nov 3, 2003
    The only real downside to roof mounting is that you puncture the roof, thus increasing the likelyhood for leaks.

The wind load is a non issue.

I prefer to attach the pole to the eave of the roof. All I use is two lag bolts. I have two dishes attached to the eave with two lag bolts that have been trouble free for over 7 years. The eave removes all concern over roof puncture.

11. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Roof mounting is better than mounting at the bottom of gable facia boards that are only 3/4" thick.

Mounting on a pitched roof is actually preferred, if done right. Never mount on a flat roof or within 2 feet of a valley. The strongest mounting point is at the corner of the house right at the convergence of the wall corners and the rafters. The rafters are easy to find there. Movement will never be a problem.

Never "glue" the dish foor to the roof with silicone or roofing cement, like it advised in the self install manuals. Don't predrill holes for the mount, and don't use 1/4" or 5/16" lag screws. Use 1/4" (#14)x 3 inch hex head drive hardened sheet metal screws. If you can't find them at hardware stores, Home Depot sells small packages under the Simpson Strong Tie brand. They will about never break like lag screws. Drive one, without predrilling through the center round hole through the shingles into the rafter. Plumb the pole in the up/down swing direction. Tap the foot in the corner until the pole is plumb in the opposite 90 degree axis. Drive the second three inch screw in the crescent slotted center foot axis hole. Drive four 1/4(#14)x1-1/2" long hex head hardened sheet metal screws into the corners, just enough, since these can easily strip out as they are going through shingles or light OSB or plywood flashing.

Actually on a pitched roof, no sealing is necessary. The heat from power driving the screws, without predrilling melts and displaces the asphalt from the shingles around the screw and rehardens. Just to satisfy the customer, I might put some sealant on the screw heads. Thick layers of tar makes for an ugly install and does no good.

When it comes to dish removal time, remove the screws. You are left with six less than 1/4" diameter holes that are easily sealed. The shingles do not come off with the mounting foot, as if it was "glued" to the roof. A dish foot "glued" to the roof will not keep the dish on the roof during a storm. It just takes the shingles off with it. Fastening the dish to the roof means screwing into the roof.

Re-roofing and realignment is easy. Snip off the headssix 16d (penny) nails and place them in the holes, with the dish removed and the points sticking out about 1/2." As the roofer puts down the roof, the points will protrude through the shingles. Put the dish over these protruding nails. Pull the nails out one at a time with pliers, and replace each screw into the same place that they were taken out.

That's all there is to it!

12. JoeQ

JoeQ AllStar

Dec 17, 2003
    When I installed my dish 500 several years back, I went overboard and have it bolted through the roof and into a 2x6 nailed between the rafters.
    Including all the silicone sealing.

As time went on, I realized that was overkill so 2 years ago when I went to install a dish 300 to point at 61.5, I merely bolted it to the railing on my deck in an inconspicuous place.

Been there just fine now for 2 years and no need to worry about when I have to replace the roof,etc.

Made it easy to plug in the receiver and a 13" TV to find the sat signal also.

I will probably do the same thing with the Superdish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.