1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ACCESS Magazine about to end

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Satelliteracer, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Mar 3, 2011 #1 of 50
    Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Just a heads up that emails will start to go out tonight along with letters and other communications in the coming week or so. ACCESS DIRECTV magazine will publish its last issue in April. Over 105 million issues were printed in over 13 years...pretty incredible number. A number of industry awards were won by that team as well.

Customers that subscribe to it monthly will simply receive their last April issue and will no longer be billed in the future.

Those customers that purchase it annually will receive a replacement magazine called SATELLITE DIRECTV for the remaining issues they are owed on their annual subscription. If they do not wish to receive the replacement magazine, they can opt for a refund again.

Monthly customers can also get an introductory deal on Satellite Direct magazine as well. Information will be coming to each Access subscriber with instructions.

Here's a trivia question for you....who was on the very first cover of the magazine (it wasn't called Access back then)?

2. Mar 3, 2011 #2 of 50
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Well I remember it was called OnDirecTV before it was called ACCESS. For some reason I want to say Dennis Leary was on the first cover.

3. Mar 3, 2011 #3 of 50
    Whammer1249

Whammer1249 Cool Member

Nov 28, 2010
    I just received the email, and am not happy. Access was a great publication. Satellite Direct does not compare in so many ways.

4. Mar 3, 2011 #4 of 50
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Howard Hughes ?

5. Mar 3, 2011 #5 of 50
    Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
    Understood. A tough decision, I can assure you. A very fine publication.

They are different publications in the sense that Satellite Direct is much more of a listings magazine while Access was entertainment and listings. However, an extensive survey was done 6 months ago to determine what customers valued most in the magazine, and listings was an overwhelming winner with the "entertainment" aspects preferred by a small minority. ACCESS was (is) a very fine publication, but my guess is that folks interested in those types of entertainment stories, etc are able to find them in a number of other areas.

Satellite Direct is also going to change their publication starting in May so their magazine of today will be different than. Their DIRECTV listing service is very extensive, one could argue more extensive than ACCESS because of the additional programming that is covered in that periodical.

6. Mar 3, 2011 #6 of 50
    Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
    Not Howard Hughes...not Dennis Leary

7. Mar 3, 2011 #7 of 50
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I certainly don't remember who was on the first issue (I wasn't a subscriber until April 1997), but I do remember liking the magazine back in the late 90's. Those listings were important way before 2 week Guide data was on every box. :)

8. Mar 3, 2011 #8 of 50
    codespy

codespy Ted- Get some free agents NOW!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Ahhhh....Brett Favre! :lol:

9. Mar 3, 2011 #9 of 50
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Bummer, I'm going to miss Access. Not sure if I'll go with Satellite Direct. :mad:

10. Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
    Give it a test drive

http://directmagazine.com/dtv/?CMP=EMC-MQ-CS-NF-MP-110303&ATT=final&m=

In the promo code area, enter "directv"

Click on the timezone you are in and you can get a 300 page PDF version for this month and next month's. The listings are very thorough and will get even better starting in May.

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Actually I'm surprised Access was still around. I had a subscription to it for a few years in the late 90's and early 2000's but with the advent of the DVR 10 years ago it became obsolete in terms of channel listings much like TV Guide is. As for the entertainment articles...much like most magazines today I read about it 2 months ago on the Internet. :)

But farewell to Access, hope those that relied on it can find other options.

12. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    My favorite column in Access was Martin Scorsese's monthly favorite move picks. He always gave great insights into the movies he picked, and I watched as many as I could. Yes, Access will be missed.

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    The print in the listings was way too small. Even with new glasses it was very uncomfortable reading it so I stopped getting it when they started charging for it a few years ago. :lol: The DVR guide was more than sufficient.

14. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    About time. Hopefully with all the money they'll save by finally abandoning this obsolete form of media, maybe we can get some new HD.

15. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Thank you, I'll check it out today. The list of movies for the whole month is the main thing that I need so I hope it will be OK.
    The link took me to a page where I entered "directv" then it went to a page asking me to subscribe?

16. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I looked at the online version and couldn't see any listing of the movies for the month.

Although I somewhat enjoyed other parts of the magazine, that was my main reason for subscribing to Access also.

Does anyone know if the printed magazine shows movie listings alphabetically by title?

17. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    Charlie Sheen? :lol:

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't think one thing has anything to do with another. Personally I agree it's time to stop publishing, but that doesn't stop me from being sad about it. Jobs are being lost at the print shop that produced it, and I'm sure that good writers, photographers and artists are on the street as well.

I've spent 27 years in and around the printing industry and I'm terribly saddened by its almost total collapse in the last 10 years. There are excellent reasons for the death of commercial printing but still... you don't get into an industry that's been around 500 years expecting it to die on your watch.

19. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    What I miss is the DirecTV "local" editions of TV Guide -- but, of course, those went away in 2005 when TV Guide changed their format and got rid of the local listings.

[​IMG]

20. grizbear

grizbear AllStar

Aug 9, 2007
    Great spin, Satelliteracer!

Underneath all this spin, I venture to speculate that the Access Profit Center was impeding Directv’s goal to maximize profit. And hence was axed.