1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

accessing native digital content

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by samatrix, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samatrix

samatrix New Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Greetings everyone. This is my first post to DBStalk. Very nice forum.

I'm interested in accessing the native mpeg2 data on my 501. Assuming this is legal (wrong assumption or another discussion?)--is there any way to do this?

I know I could convert to analog and back to mpeg compression, but I'd prefer to grab the native data. What is that serial port on 501 for?

Are there any plans to allow this on future boxes?

Is anyone out there building PC boxes to handle all their digital media needs?

cheers,

Peter

2. Hopper27

Hopper27 AllStar/Supporter

Feb 28, 2003
    You're not the first, and won't be the last person to ask about this and want this.

For as absurd as it is, the powers that be don't want you to have access to the raw data. It sucks, and is stupid and pointless, but that is how things are.

Jason

3. RJS1111111

RJS1111111 Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    It is also very likely that the MPEG-2 decompression and
    Nagravision decryption are done together on the same
    chip. So, there might possibly be uncompressed digital
    video and audio streams accessible just prior to the
    (separate?) D/A conversions. But then you're looking
    for unencrypted but compressed MPEG-2 streams, right?
    Unfortunately, AFAIK, those aren't available for pay TV.
    The best you could do is recompress and optimize for
    little or no further loss of quality, using your favorite
    (MPEG-2/3/4) encoding scheme. This would of course
    require some expensive commercial TV equipment,
    plus adeptness with a soldering iron. Oh, yes, and it would
    void your warranty, possibly violate the provider's
    terms of service, and most likely trample copyright laws.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    There is another way to get raw stream - using DVB-S PCI card.

P.S. It was a few years ago, but that PCI card ABA-1020 from BroadLogic was exactly Echostar IRD.

5. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    samatrix, welcome to DBSTalk. :hi:

Unfortunately, we can't discuss accessing the raw MPEG data on your dish pvr. Hopper27 is exactly correct that the powers that be don't want us to have access to it. The powers that be aren't us, BTW. So, we had to add the statement in our terms of use that disallows this discussion to continue. As such, I have to close the thread. I'm sorry.

6. frabman

frabman Cool Member

Apr 2, 2003
    I don't necessarily want access to the raw data, what I want is to have some way to save the encrypted data.

I've had my 721 disk go belly-up once already and lost about 40 hours of saved material. :crying: I don't want that to happen again, so I'd like the ability to dump saved shows to a safe(er) media type. I don't care if it's encrypted or whatever, cause I'd only need to play it back on E* PVR equipment.

This would actually make business sense... I'd certainly think twice about switching to DTV if it meant I'd lose access to my library of Good Eats episodes. :cool: Additionally, this would allow me to manage my saved programs in some sort of logical groupings... cooking, Sci-Fi movies/series, Survivor :eek:, etc...

So, making it clear that I do not want to do anything illegal (repeat, data stays encrypted), is there any way I can do any of the following:
    1. Save the data to (your favorite stand-alone media)
    2. Save the data to a SAN-like appliance or PC
    3. Other options?
      [/list=1]
      Oh, and it'd be nice if saving/playing back any of the saved material wasn't a 4-hour operation. :rolleyes:

It'd be really cool to be able to save the data to a "media center" PC and stream the data back to the PVR for playback, but having a built-in DVD burner in the PVR would be just as good.

What do you all think?
      Frabman

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It's well known fact here ( thanks to Kyoo ) - you could read the disk on Linux+XFS PC. So, practically, copy the ecrypted files to other media not to hard. I can't tell you what's happen after that - nobody claim afterwords.

8. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    About the only way the climate could allow this would be to have some sort of criminally-overpriced proprietary HD or DVD-based external drive from Echostar or Tivo or whoever, that would allow archiving once with no way to access the data directly without continued connection to the parent PVR, which would likely be the only allowed display device. I wouldn't expect to see this at least for a couple years, but if a PVR manufacturer went this route, their device would likely have a decided advantage over other mere PVR's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.