1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Accessing Recorded Shows on Deactivated DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by StangGT909, Jun 30, 2010.

1. StangGT909

StangGT909 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    If you have a deactivated DVR receiver, is there anyway to access and watch previously recorded shows in the list?

It appears to be locked out.... the OTA channels work and channel 101 works but the "list" button doesn't work and it's frozen. The pause button doesn't even work on the OTA channels.

The only way I can think to trick it would be to reboot or restart somehow and have the satellite feed disconnected so it starts fresh and doesn't know (but I don't want to lose the recordings obviously)... but I figure it would probably remember it was deactivated. If I had a time machine I suppose you could unplug the satellite feed prior to deactivating the receiver, then it would never know (basically say searching for signal and think it's raining).

I just want to watch a couple of saved shows tonight before it's turned in and I didn't think it would be locked.

Any help would be great!

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Since the DVR was plugged into the satellite line when it was deactivated, the DVR service isn't active, so you can't do anything until you reactivate it (by calling and re-adding the receiver to your account).

If the receiver was disconnected when the deactivaiton signal was sent, the previous authorization will continue to work for a few days before it times out, at which point, you're locked out again. This is all by design; DirecTV doesn't make DVRs for people to use without DirecTV service.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As BZ pointed out, you'll need to reactivate the receiver. You could just hook it up for one day to activate it. Then deactivate, but remember to disconnect it from the satellite before deactivating it. That will enable you to view your recordings.

- Merg