1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessing the DVR from my computer

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by saichand, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saichand

saichand New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Hello...I am kind of new to this forum.
    I am planning to connect the DVR to my home network via ethernet-wireless adapter. As this would save me $5 a month (I dont have a phone connection.)

Once connected to the network, can I access the DVR from my computer? Is there some kind of client for this or something like a windows explorer?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Not yet. There is a rumored new feature that will allow you to remotely set timers and view the schedule over the web but it is not available or even announced yet. There would be no client since it will be accessed through a Dish web site.

3. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    www.slingmedia.com - this will allow you to watch it from your computer over the network. You need another network connection though.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The SlingBox devices are good for remote viewing ... they capture the normal outputs of the receiver and transmit that over the internet to another PC. It is basically an extended remote control "as if you were sitting in front of your receiver".

Access to the content on the 622 itself (for file transfers, etc) from a computer is not expected. As noted, E* is working on remote scheduling similar to what D* is testing where one can set timers via the internet and do some receiver management but not something where you can watch what you have on the DVR over the network.

5. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    I don't see the benefit of the new network capabilities as compared to the Slingbox. I will continue with the Slingbox in that case. The only benefit might be if the setting of timers can be done via a slow connection such as a phone line.

Is it just me or has this site been extremely slow the last two days?

6. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Not you lujan. The VOD announcement for DirecTV caused a lot of network traffic to the site. It appears we were linked to by a number of sites and it created a flood of requested. It does appear things are returning to normal.

7. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Ron, its not just the VOD announcement. For me the problem has been going on for over a week. I lot of times I have not been able to get in at all ("server too busy"). Clearly, DBS Talk need a bigger server.

8. saichand

saichand New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    ok....what about just accessing the files on the DVR...(the saved moves etc.)
    Can i access them from my computer?

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As noted above, no.

E* is VERY careful about protecting the content from copying.

10. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I use a TV tuner card using the audio/s-video inputs to get the signal into my computer. I can then DVD anything that I want to save. Works great, although not HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.