1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Account Suspend Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wallybarthman, Feb 27, 2010.

1. wallybarthman

wallybarthman Godfather

Feb 4, 2009
    I am contemplating suspending my account once the NHL Conference Finals start - assuming Versus isn't back - and leaving it suspended through the summer until hockey season starts again. I have a couple questions.

Is suspending my account as simple as calling and saying "I want to suspend my account" and then in October calling and saying "I want to re-activate my account"

I assume that when I do I will lose all functionality from my receivers - no access to recordings and no access to my AM21 off-air tuners. Correct?

2. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    I believe your assumptions are correct.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You must also have your balance paid in full in order to suspend.

4. Mar 3, 2010 #4 of 19
    Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Your pretty much correct but I havent tried it myself cause I removed the STB to make room for my U-verse STB (which will probably also be removed soon too) and havent tried to run the DVR by itself. (I left content on it in case I return to Directv). Im doing the same thing and its fine. They gave me the date in which I had to call back to either reactivate it or cancel and pay my termination fee but it was a simple discussion with the CSR.

5. Mar 3, 2010 #5 of 19
    Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    Every fall I suspend the DirecTV account at our family's cabin for the winter and there's never been a problem. (Our receivers are owned and we don't have any special deals.) You don't even need to talk with a CSR...if I recall correctly, you just say "suspend account" at the voice prompt and it will ask you to enter the date for reactivation.

I have read elsewhere on this forum that you can only suspend your account once per year, and not for more than six months.

6. Mar 4, 2010 #6 of 19
    Jared701

Jared701 Legend

Sep 9, 2008
    I believe if you disconnect the receiver prior to suspending you can also be able to view anything left on your dvr while it's suspended. At least that was possible when I suspended last year. I only used it for that for a day when I was leaving and got back a day early from what I thought I would but if you have a lot recorded you may want to consider that and possibly disconnect the boxes first so you have that option.

7. Mar 4, 2010 #7 of 19
    ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Godfather

Sep 27, 2005
    What if the OP is still under contract?

Can he suspend?
    Does the suspension time count against his contractual agreement since technically he is still a customer?

8. Mar 4, 2010 #8 of 19
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    He can suspend, but his commitment clock stops while the acct is suspended. It wont work to get out of paying ETF for less than the 24 months service. Technically they are still customers but they are non-paying customers during the suspension months

9. Mar 4, 2010 #9 of 19
    bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Actually when you call to suspend, no outstanding balance on your account as previously mentioned, you'll be asked for a reactivation date, and as someone again stated it's only allowable once in a year and for no longer than six months.

And it's my understanding that in order to access content, the DirecTV DVRs require a satellite connection, which would reveal your account status as suspended. If you have a Vista Home Premium or Ultimate or W7 PC with a tuner card, you could feed the antenna to that, set up Media Center, and DVR to your hearts content.

10. bb37

bb37 Godfather

Dec 27, 2007
    Folks, I suspended my account in February 2009 and "unsuspended" in in August 2009. Based on my experience, I offer up the following:

1. When you call to suspend, make very sure that you and the CSR are clear on the date when the account will be reinstated. Mark this date on your calendar so you don't lose track of it.
    2. In my case, DirecTV automatically reinstated the account at the end of the suspension. The only way I knew that the account was being reinstated was when I received a bill. That's why it's important to record the reinstatement date.
    3. If you call to "extend" the suspension, verify with the CSR whether or not they are actually extending your current suspension or initiating a second suspension. You can only suspend twice within a year (I think), so this is important.
    4. I was still able to watch recordings on my DVR while my account was suspended. The trick was to disconnect my DVR from the satellite cables, telephone cables, and home network cables before I called customer service to suspend the account. My DVR complained about not being able to find satellites, but I was still able to watch prerecorded programs (none of which were recorded from premium or pay-per-view channels). It's possible that this ability to watch prerecorded programs while your account is suspended has been eliminated by subsequent software updates, so I won't guarantee that it still works.

11. wallybarthman

wallybarthman Godfather

Feb 4, 2009
    Thanks for all the help! I am still under contract but I have no doubt I'll be reactivating DirecTV on October 1st when hockey season starts up again.

12. wallybarthman

wallybarthman Godfather

Feb 4, 2009
    A few other questions now that I think about it.

I have two AM21 tuners on my HD DVRs - will those still be functional?

Do I need to be certain to keep my boxes unhooked for the duration of the suspension or just while the suspension is in place? (I know I won't be able to view any channels this way I just want to know if the moment I hooked my DVRs up to the Satellites if it'll deactivate the boxes, thus preventing me from watching DVR and using my AM21's?

13. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    HD Access is required to use the OTA on the AM 21. So suspending the account will cause this to not work. If you disconnect the box it will just last a couple of days usually until it needs to be reauthorized. Either way don't count on using your equipment if you suspend it.

14. bb37

bb37 Godfather

Dec 27, 2007
    Let me reinforce that my experience with watching pre-recorded programs while my account was suspended was a year ago. Software updates since then may have taken away that "feature".

As for the AM21, don't forget that without a satellite connection, your boxes won't be able to get guide data. The AM21 only tunes channels that DirecTV thinks you should get based on your ZIP code and that data is probably routinely updated. With no updates, I believe the AM21 will cease to function.

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The HR2x series with an AM21 will not work for OTA without a valid subscription to DirecTV and DVR service.

16. NCDolphinFan

NCDolphinFan Cool Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Wesley...
    Does anyone know if it is still possible to view recorded programs on an HR22-100 if I suspend my service, but disconnect the sat and network cables before calling in to suspend? I have the latest national release version for the HR22.

Will the R15 behave the same?

Just wondering if any of the software updates in the last couple of years have removed this capability.

17. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Just for a few days...

18. NCDolphinFan

NCDolphinFan Cool Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Wesley...
    Well that stinks! Why just a few days? Is there something in the software that won't let the box operate if it hasn't had a signal in a certain amount of time or something? Anyone know of a way around this?

This is a situation where I will be moving in a few weeks and hope to be able to come back to DirecTV in a couple of months, but would like to watch the backlog of programs I've recorded until I can restore service.

19. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The box checks for authorization from the satellite every few days. If you don't have authorization, you can't do much.