1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Activating a ViP 622?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Chetk, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 6, 2006 #1 of 34
    Chetk

Chetk Cool Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Hey folks,

I have a 6000U right now that can be running HBOHD and the HDPack (without Voom and without any base SD pack).

If I can get my hands on a ViP 622 without going through a dealer or directly through Dish Network, will Dish Network activate it if I just call them up?

Thanks,

2. Feb 6, 2006 #2 of 34
    Dwyane Wade

Dwyane Wade Cool Member

Feb 2, 2006
    from waht i know they will, but is your dish pointing and set up to a 61.5 or do you need a dish 1000?

3. Feb 6, 2006 #3 of 34
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    How would a person get hold of a 622 without going through Dish or a dealer, that is a non hot one?

4. Feb 6, 2006 #4 of 34
    Chetk

Chetk Cool Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Yes. Absolutely non-hot.

I have two dishes on mt roof. Not sure which directions, but I'm sure I can manage it.

5. Feb 6, 2006 #5 of 34
    Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    how do you plan to get one from "not dish or a dealer" if they aren't even on the market in anyone's hands yet? it's not like a private person can sell you one yet :)

6. Feb 6, 2006 #6 of 34
    tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    steal one???

7. Feb 6, 2006 #7 of 34
    BoisePaul

BoisePaul Godfather

Apr 26, 2005
    I'm guessing that you'd have to find one with a questionable (but extremely short) history that has been placed in a deep freeze. :D

8. Feb 6, 2006 #8 of 34
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Hopefully, if someone tries to activate a hot reciever they will have the number registered as stolen and not activate it. If the receiver is not hot I am sure they would have no problem activating it.

9. Feb 6, 2006 #9 of 34
    Chetk

Chetk Cool Member

Oct 13, 2003
    OK. Let me try to repeat this. It would NOT be HOT. I'm not that kind of person. There would be nothing shady about it. However, if I divulge HOW I could possibly get it, everyone would do it and there would not be one for me.

I just want to know if Dish Network would activate the thing. Does it have to be a dealer that calls in to activate it?

If I already have an active account (without a base SD plan), do I have at activate a base SD plan and sign a new contract?

See, I don't want to spend $299 to "upgrade" and have to renew a contract to pay for SD channels I won't ever watch. I'm trying to avoid signing a contract and getting the SD channels.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    1-800-333-DISH ... Ask for HD activations and ask them.
    We don't speak for dish ... You will have to ask them.

11. BoisePaul

BoisePaul Godfather

Apr 26, 2005
    Chetk - Forgive us if we're skeptical, but for any receiver, it's inconceivable that there is a route other than a dealer/retailer or Dish themselves for obtaining a receiver unless you're purchasing it from another customer who obtained the receiver by one of the two aforementioned methods. Obviously since nobody outside of the beta testers even has this receiver, we can be assured that you're not getting a used unit. We just aren't seeing any other options based on the E* distribution model. Back to your questions, a dealer doesn't usually have to call in to activate a receiver. If you have a current account, you should be able to activate it on your current account, though you may have to pay the $6 HD enabling fee if you're not adding one of the "metal" DishHD packages.

12. Chetk

Chetk Cool Member

Oct 13, 2003
    BoisePaul,

Thanks! That's the kind of answer I was looking for.

I promise to let you all know how I got it after I get it. And it won't be nammed from the board because it's not illegal. :grin:

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Before buying the 622, be sure its serial number belong to that beta lists.
    At least it will receive some channels. :D

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Didn't you post that 1-4000000 had a default software?

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    One time it was, now it's back to small groups - 150+ or 300+ numbers.

16. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Well If there is not a released version for the 622 spooling out I doubt one can get a 622 activated. Remember 3 planets must align. Hardward available, installer available and software available. If anyone is not, 622 is a doorstop until all are.

17. BoisePaul

BoisePaul Godfather

Apr 26, 2005
    Geez, I didn't even think about that. I guess even if he does manage to get the receiver authorized, if there's no software in the stream for it it really isn't going to do much of anything. I suppose that it could function as part of a really expensive (and really limited) signal meter, since we know that the "Point Dish" stuff has to work.

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't know what "namming" would involve... but I think maybe I would prefer being banned to being nammed!

;)

19. Chetk

Chetk Cool Member

Oct 13, 2003
    OK. Well, I can tell you that I tried to get the 622, but they wouldn't sell it to me. Basically, this is the wholesale company that sells to local resellers.

The reason I thought they'd sell it to me, is because they've sold me stuff before and didn't have a problem with it. I guess they've gotten a conscience now.

Anyway, I called Dish Network to try and get it through the normal route. That is a joke and I'd never pay what they want for the 622. They want $299 + an 18 month contract which would include a base package (Bronze Package @ $49.99 a month) :lol: So, for $299 + ($49.99 x 18), I'm looking at $1,198.82. :rolleyes: No thanks!

I don't understand why I have to sign ANOTHER contract and get a base package that I'll never watch just so I can get an HD-PVR. So much for being a loyal customer.

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You don't need a 622 unless you subscribe to programming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.