1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Active button

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MRM, Feb 12, 2009.

1. MRM

MRM AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    I'm sorry if this has already been beat to death, but I don't get anything to come up with my red active button. I got the screen without anything on it. When I tried it again last night, nothing at all came up. Do I have to be connected by a phone line or network cable to get that feature?

2. knew001

knew001 AllStar

Sep 13, 2007
    Mine just started working yesterday. Weather Lottery numbers etc

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    The active button isn't red . . .it's second from left of the 4 above the Select button - and labeled 'Active'. I actually hate it because it's close to the pause button and dumps the live TV buffer if you hit active.

The red button is either skip back 12 hours in the guide or delete in the playlist.

4. shmengie

shmengie Godfather

Apr 12, 2007
    City of Angels
    thank god i'm using an harmony (550) remote: i never have to think about that p.o.s. active button anymore.

5. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I agree. Thinking about ripping it right off the remote myself!

6. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    As far as I'm concerned there's no point in even hitting it on purpose. It's so slow that it's worthless.

7. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    The active button on the remote is the Bankrupt on the wheel of fortune. It is the “00” slot on the roulette wheel. It is like your foot slipping off the clutch and stalling the car.

8. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    No longer a problem. Just ripped it off all my remotes and covered the hole with duct tape. No more accidental Active for me! Seriously, it's like it's downloading it on an old 33.6 Kbps modem lol

9. sda3

sda3 Mentor

Nov 29, 2005
    ooh that ticks me off when I do that....I hate that button

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I tried out the Active button some time ago, but the results were so slow in appearing and I had to reprogram my weather choices every time there was a software update that I gave up on it.

Not quite ready to rip the button out yet...

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Thank God I have only used the Active Button Once!!! :lol:

12. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I understand the vitriol (I've dumped my buffer that way on occasion) but maybe that's exactly the OPs problem, that it comes up so slow he thinks it isn't doing anything.

Actually, its a whole lot faster than DISH's application of same about 5 years ago. I use it once in the morning for weather (easier than going to the net, faster than local chs or the weather channel) and I find it quite useful in that regard, it's just that there isn't any other practical application, other than maybe customer help. If they could get my local traffic on it I could use that instead of the net each morning.

It would also be a lot less annoying without the useless video PIP. Allow us to program our favorite channel (or current channel being watched) into that PIP, and I might use it more. Especially if you could exit "Active", and return to the previous channel with the buffer intact.

13. fredandbetty

fredandbetty Godfather

Jan 28, 2007
    Just started acting up here..... we always used it at least once a day

14. romulox

romulox AllStar

Jun 22, 2007
    to the OP..

A few days ago I used the active button for the 2nd time in my 2.5 years with the HR20. The active channel stayed blank, as you describe, for about 1 full minute while data loaded. The channel eventually came up. No network connection is required; all data came through the satellite. I was able to switch between weather, horoscope, lotto numbers, and whatever else with about a 15 second delay between each option.

have a good one...

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I thought the Active Button was Yellow.

16. tgr131

tgr131 Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    I use the Active Button daily. I have my harmony remote programmed to mute the TV when I hit the Active button. Usually, I'm just checking the weather forecast, and I usually bring it up, engage in personal hygiene, come back, get my info and hit the hay.

I like the feature. YMMV.

David

17. johnp292

johnp292 Mentor

Mar 16, 2009
    I guess that answered my question before I asked it....which was going to be "Is there any way to change the channel in the PIP window in ACTIVE"?

:(

18. barryhammond

barryhammond Cool Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I hate the active button a little less than the PIG, but still hate it.

19. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    It has been over 2 years since my finger accidentally hit the active button. I want to thank all of you for your support that day in talking me down and I'm sure many lives were saved.

20. ke3ju

ke3ju Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    Stroudsburg,...
    I like your ideas. I might only add that it should be in high def wide screen.

Cheers,
    Ed