1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Actors' Unions - Studios reach tentative agreement

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Nov 7, 2010.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Take your pick of the sources for the story - LA Times, Variety, The Hollywood Reporter.

The basic story is:
    • A three year contract including a 2% annual wage increase and a 10% hike in employer contributions to the pension and health plans.
    • SAG and AFTRA negotiated this jointly.
    • They got it done before the Directors' Guild, basically a management union, even began negotiations and could screw things up for workers like last time.
    • The Writers' Guild, which has a more militant membership, has a pattern to work with so their officers are not stuck taking the lead under heavy membership pressure.
    Of course, SAG and AFTRA memberships have to approve this, but it appears that will happen.

So what am I going to do with all those shows I have recorded on hard drive to use in the next strike?;)

2. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Watch them on Sunday afternoons in the fall of 2011 while the NFL is on strike/locked out. :D

3. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Ah yes, that other "actors" dispute.;)

4. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This is really a followup, but compared to a few years ago this from the LA Times is remarkable news:
    It should set the tone for the writers and other unions.

Now what am I going to do with all those recorded shows I am saving for the next strike???:D

5. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Save them for next fall, to watch on Sundays while the NFL is locked out/on strike.

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If the NFL does get locked out .. Sunday's will be filled with College games. We'll likely have just as much football to watch.

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Agreed.

And I suspect that point is frequently mentioned at the negotiating table, as both sides try to avoid a strike.

8. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Too bad.. I wanted them to strike.

9. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Hmm, I'm not sure if I see any major college games being moved from Saturday to Sunday just because of an NFL lockout, especially if the lockout situation seems to be "fluid" (i.e., the lockout could end "at any time") -- aside from emergency situations, changing the date of a game is a big enough undertaking that it would probably need to be set at least a couple weeks in advance.

Although during the last extended NFL stoppage, in 1982, one of the networks did pick up Canadian Football League games.