1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add a Fifth Receiver?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by philherz, Apr 11, 2009.

1. philherz

philherz Legend

May 3, 2008
    Hi,

I'm a DirecTV guy and I'm adding a fourth & fifth box to my home next week.

When I mentioned this to a friend who has Dish Network, he said he's restricted to a maximum of 4 per household, so I said I'd post this question in the right forum.

Is he correct....max 4????

thnx

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    He's not quite right -

Limit of 4 LEASED tuners, limit of 12 tuners / 6 receivers . these are per account limits.

3. rocket69

rocket69 AllStar

Oct 26, 2008
    with direct the max is 32 but any thing over 7 will rase flags and you will recive a random visit .. Most i was able to install was 36 HD dvr's got the 32 and then local HSP had to come and cheack the location twice and all good so got the last 4 on 3 weeks later

4. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    There is a LEASED receiver limit of 4 OUTPUTs. If you are going to PURCHASE the 4th and 5th, plus purchase additional switches to connect beyond your present 3 boxes, you won't have a problem.

If you had 4 leased 612s ("single TV output"), you'd have 8 Sat tuners and 4 OTA tuners. Two leased dual output receivers (a 722 and a 625, or whatever combo you pick where each receiver has a TV1 and a TV2), you'd be maxed for LEASED receivers at two.

The advantage to doing a leased receiver is it includes Installation, and any dish, cable, switch, ... necessary.

The 4 limit your friend encountered is they only lease enough receivers to supply 4 "TVs" with independent programming.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    And, so, to continue the thought: a 4th and 5th receiver is going to put you over the lease limit for sure, so you're going to have to purchase some dish/switch equipment to get them connected. The receiver models in question, and the number of orbital locations that each needs to see, will dictate what hardware you need. Worst case, you'd need a pair of DPP44 switches, which is the most expensive solution. You may be able to get by with just a second dish, which is usually the cheapest way to go if it works for you.

Without specifics, such as receiver models and sats needed, there's no way for us to give any better advice.

6. TSR

TSR Legend

Feb 7, 2009
    This is correct. Per Dish Network Policy and Business Rules a Residential Customer can only have 4 leased tuners on their account (2 Duo receivers, 4 Solo receivers). Those are the basics.

7. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    This is NOT correct. How many 612s can be leased on an account? Each 612 has 3 tuners, just the same as a 622. Even if you only consider Sat tuners and ignore OTA tuners, you can lease more than 4 TUNERS. Can a new sub sign up for a 722 and two 612's? That is six leased sat tuners. A 612 and 622 have different a number of independent OUTPUTs, but the same number of TUNERS. The 612 only subtracts one from the 4 lease limit and the 622 subtracts two. There is no 4 leased TUNER limit.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Dish's documentation/training apparently uses the word "tuners" where it should use "indpendent outputs" which leads to this problem.

The lease limit is in fact 4 "independent outputs". The number of sat tuners is irrelevant.

9. iceman3233

iceman3233 New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Ya max 4 TUNERS per account.... Any more they will break the account into 2 accounts each paying full price.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    No - you can still have one account - but you have to PURCHASE any additional "outputs", not just lease.

11. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Yep. Theoretical max is 6 duo-TV receivers for 12 TVs, but you bought receivers # 3, 4, 5 and 6. Min $200 each for a 322, and another ~$400 for a couple 44 switches or ~$260-300 for a couple 33 switches...

12. iceman3233

iceman3233 New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Ya 4 max leased tuners, no more than 12 total gl gettin that many actived without gettin grilled.

13. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    SIlly rule if you ask me. People have TVs in just about any room these days. I regularly install 5 TV, 6 TV systems. What do they have to gain with charging extra?

14. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    I don't know the details of their business model, but my assumption would be that they lease you the receivers at a reduced cost, and make up that cost from the subscription fees from the two year service commitment. Those funds from that commitment only go so far, they are not enough to subsidize an unlimited number of receivers. There has to be a cutoff somewhere. It would appear that they figured the cutoff would be 4 TVs, and they can still make money from the subscription fees, any more than that and they would be losing money on the subsequent receivers -- therefore you have to "purchase" those additional receivers at full price with no subsidy.

Just my guess, but it makes sense from a business point of view. Nothing is free -- you are still paying for your "free" receivers out of your programming charges. I suppose if they wanted to provide more "free" receivers, they would either have to lengthen the commitment term, or increase the programming charges, and I bet neither of those options would go over well with the typical consumer (especially if they have less than 4 TVs.)

15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Add to this the fact that you can feed an unlimited number of TV's the SD signals from 722/622's via a coax distribution system, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to ask folks to go without a subsidy at some point.

And if you need to buy additional receivers, you can use your credit card instead of Dish having to find financing for more capital investment.

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Excellent and entirely correct analysis IMO. Also, consider that beyond the receiver costs, there is also a dish/switch cost associated with more TVs. Dish's most common LNB is the DP Plus Twin, which only supports 2 receivers (they can be dual-tuner/dual output receivers). The 1000.2 and 1000.4 LNBs support 3 receivers. To go beyond this requires at least a multiswitch, and in many cases replacment LNBs, so the cost can be considerable even before you add the receivers themselves.

17. TSR

TSR Legend

Feb 7, 2009
    It was stated in a general sense, not meant to be picked apart.

I'm sure some are well aware the 612 has 2 tuners, but since it only goes to 1TV DISH Network considers it a Solo receiver, resulting in the system allowing a 722 and 2 612s.

If you want to debate, be my guest, but you will no longer receive a response but this threads subject is about leased tuners in the publics general eye, not what you or I know.

If the only point in your post was to demean mine, we have offered nothing to the thread-starter.

18. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    That is a really good explaination. Outputs is what Dish is really using, when they are counting things for Lease purposes. Any DVR that has Dual mode(ViP 722/622) counts as 2, and a DVR that only has Single mode(ViP 612) is 1.
    When you think about it, each ViP has 3 Tuners, 2 Sat's and 1 OTA(K models have 2).