1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add HR-20 to wireless network?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mrbarker, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbarker

mrbarker Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    Hey Everyone...

Im trying to add my HR-20 to my wireless network. I have a WEP key on it, but cant figure out how to enter that on the receiver. Can it only be added to an open network? Or is there a way to enter WEP keys?

2. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    The hr20 does not have a wirless card or adapter inside. To add it to a network you will either have to run a line from your router and walk through the setup, or buy a wireless bridge or gaming adapter and configure it on your pc. Then plug it in to the back of your hrxx.

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    if the HR20 is going to be hard wired into your router... it will not need a wep key...

if you are doing it wirelessly... then the wep key will be set in the adapter you buy...

4. mrbarker

mrbarker Mentor

Sep 26, 2007
    so.. I cant just plug a wireless adapter into the USB port and configure it that way?

5. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    the wireless adapter must first be plugged into your computer and configured with your wireless network settings (SSID, WEP key, etc.).... then... you will plug it into the ethernet port of the HR20...

a usb based adapter will not work... must be ethernet

6. goober22

goober22 Godfather

Sep 8, 2004
    Sunny...
    No. Get a bridge or gaming adapter. That will configure your security, then attach the devices (D* receivers) to it. Or you can connect a switch to it and then have 4-5 ports to attach multiple devices, as I have. I have a bridge connected to a switch and then have a Wii, Xbox & HR20 connected to it. The bridge connects wirelessly to my router using the security settings I setup in the router and bridge.

7. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    The USB adaptor isn't active... you need to connect a gaming adaptor to the Ethernet Port AFTER you've configured it on you computer with the WEP key.

8. hyde76

hyde76 Legend

Nov 26, 2007
    do any of these devices support WPA or only WEP? I don't think I want to downgrade any security just so I can do this.

9. V'ger

V'ger Icon

Oct 3, 2007
    I just set up a Linksys WGA600N Gaming adapter (brand new item). It supports WPA2-Personnal with AES or TKIP encryption. Linksys' G game adapter only supports WEP.

It is N, but can be set up for b, g, a or N on g (ng) or N on a (Na) frequencies. The only thing I don't like about it is that it can be configured by wire or wireless. There is no option to turn off wireless management. Of course, it is firmware 1.0.0

Any device connected to it counts as a wireless connection, so if you do MAC filtering on your wireless router, you need to open it up, and then add all your networkable video gear to the permit filter.

I upgraded my router to a WRT150N, which was cheap. I already had an N wireless card in my PC. I turned off the wireless on my old router, connected it to the game adapter, and then used it as a switch to connect both a HR20-700 and Toshiba HD-A2 in my bedroom. This saved me another $40 for a switch.

For whatever reason. the HR20 would get the correct IP address and gateway and DNS address, but it couldn't pass the Internet connection test (it said network connection was OK). I did a menu reset and then all was well.

-V'ger

10. XPLORx4

XPLORx4 Mentor

Nov 9, 2007
    Hmmm. If I understand correctly, are you saying that you connected your old router to the gaming adapter in order to bridge the new router's wireless service to your old router? In other words, if you plug in a switch to the the gaming adapter, you can then connect several wired devices to it, and they'll all get valid DHCP-assigned addresses from the primary router?

11. V'ger

V'ger Icon

Oct 3, 2007
    Yes, I connected the game adapter to the WAN/Internet port of the router and connectedy video gear to the routers wired LAN ports. The WGA600N game adapter has two settings: Wireless bridge or LAN Party. The documentation did not define what Lan Party meant, but the wireless bridge is what worked.

There are two ways to do this: Use NAT and have all the ports on the router available for gear, or connect one of the internal LAN ports to the gaming adapter and then you have one less port for the remaining gear. This latter approach may be best if you want to see your remote gear from your main network.

The way I set it up last night (and it was late), was to disable the wireless transmitter, turn off the firewall, but set the old router up for DHCP, and then use NAT on the old router's LAN side. I used 192.168.2.1 for that router and LAN DHCP. The remote devices received a NATed DHCP address and used the router as a gateway, but received the correct ISP DNS address. So the remote gear, such as the HR20, could get video on demand from DirecTV and the HD DVD player could update firmware remotely. However, I do not think the main wireless network can see the devices behind the router. I will be trying the other method later and report back.

The router that I used was a rev 1.0 WRT54G.

-V'ger

12. rpl47

rpl47 Cool Member

Aug 20, 2006
    I'm new to this stuff, so bear with me. Once I network my HR20, I understand that I will be able to view files (photos, vids) from my PC onto my HR20. But would I be able to view/burn recordings on my ViiV PC that are on my HR20. If not, how can that be done? I have a ton of recordings that I would love to burn to free up space.

13. V'ger

V'ger Icon

Oct 3, 2007
    OK. I had to turn off the router's (WRT54G) DHCP server so both routers wouldn't try to serve IP addresses. Connecting the WGA600N to one of the four LAN ports (instead of the WAN port) on the router and then the HR20 and HD-A2 to two other LAN ports allowed all devices to be seen by my main home network. I now see two HR20s from my wireless PC and I can serve files to both. So this is the preferred hookup.

So now I can definitively say the router is acting like a dumb switch and is passing all data via the game adapter to my main wireless router.

-V'ger

14. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Nope. You get to set the WEP keys your self. They are not set in the adapters at all.

15. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    You can't unless you "play" them to a recording device. You could hook up your PC to your HR20 via video / audio capture card.

16. Spaz

Spaz New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    I used a D-ling DWL-G820 gaming adapter to get my HR20 online, which I though would be simple but here's a word of caution. After getting the G820, which does do wpa, configured from my laptop (you have to hook it up to the ethernet port and configure the port with a static IP address in order to access the adapter's cofig menu) I decided to use it as an external wireless adapter and connect to the internet to test the connection. Well...it didn't work. Eventually, after tinkering for a while I changed my ethernet settings back to "automatically detect IP and it worked fine.

I then hooked the adapter up to my HR20 and it would not connect to the internet. The IP settings int he HR20 were completely wrong but even when I changed them nothing worked. Eventually I figured out that if, in the DWL-G820 gaming adapter settings, you changed the LAN setting to automatic, then went back into the HR20 and set that IP address/Subnet Mask/Gateway, and then reset the unit it finally worked.

All this because I was being too lazy to spend the 30 minutes running a cat-5 cable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.