1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding 250GB to HR10-250

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gmviso, Jul 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmviso

gmviso New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Northeast...
    I have some questions about adding a second 250GB drive to my new HR10-250.

First, after I upgraded my HDVR2 from the single 30 hour drive to a dual drive system by adding a 160GB drive from Weeknees , its user interface really slowed down.

So, is the same going to happen if I add a second drive to my HR10-250?

Secondly, what drives are people using for upgrading?

I have not opened the hood of this new machine yet (would llike to give it a week or so of use before opening it). Based upon research I am starting to believe that the stock drive is a Western Digital WD2500. That would imply that it is a 7200RPM Ultra-100 drive.

Weaknees is selling the Maxtor Quickview drives which are only 5400 RPM but have a Ultra-133 interface. Will the HR1-250 be able to take advantage of the U-133 interface?

Checking the specs, the Western Digital drive dissipates only 8.8W when active compared to the Maxtor at 10.09W. However when idle the Western Digital is at 8.3W compared to 6.18W for the Maxtor.

Also, being 7200RPM and having an 8MB buffer, the Western Digital would seem to have an edge at streaming video.

Thanks, George

2. gmviso

gmviso New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Northeast...
    Well, since I had no one reply to me I opened my new toy up this morning.

Inside I found a Western Digital WD2500LB drive (7200RPM, Ultra-100, 2MB buffer).

Still thinking about adding a WD2500JBRTL (7200RPM, Ultra-100, 8MB buffer).

Any yays or nays?

3. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    If you go to www.tivocommunity.com , there are a few people in the upgrade forum that have done it. I think I read of someone using that 8mb buffer drive. I do think the UI can slow down with the HD TivO as well but as I have not done it, I can;t say for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.