1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding 2nd HR20 - Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by T-traveler, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-traveler

T-traveler New Member

Jun 1, 2007
    I thinking of adding a 2nd HR20 and I've read numerous posts about the SWM and they all seem to imply that there are 4 cables coming from the antenna. I have a 5 LNB Multi-sat antenna with only 2 cables coming from it. Will the SWM work for me? If so, how do I hook it up? If not, what will I need.

I have complete freedom on running cables from my current equipment cabinet to the remainder of the house. I would rather only run a single cable for the 2nd unit but I can run 2 if I have to.

2. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    The first installer should have run 4 cables from the dish. This is standard installation.

When you order the 2nd HR20, the installer that brings it will need to run the other two lines and hook up your receiver. Also make sure he installs a multiswitch. Once again, this is standard installation and you should not be charged for it.

3. dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    An external multiswitch (WB68 or an SWM) are not required if the total number of tuners in use is 4 or less.

If there are more than 4 in use you must add some type of multiswitch.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Just make sure when you call DIRECTV that you tell them the current state of your setup so the installer has a chance of bringing the right stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.