1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding 3rd rec-what do I need?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by spdmonkey, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spdmonkey

spdmonkey Mentor

Feb 5, 2006
    I am a long time E* customer (since 6/'96) and have always done all my own upgrades and wiring etc. Well since I put in the Dish 500 and second dish at 61.5 life has been pretty good. Lots of receiver upgrades as HD came around (5000 to 6000 to 811 to 622) on my primary set and an old 811 on the second tv. Well now I need a third receiver to replace the Time Warner digital cable box in my kitchen (They have my RSN in HD-FSN ohio) as it appears FSN Cincy will be on HD in mpeg4. I will get a 211 for the kitchen and a 222 for the bedroom and keep the 622. My question is do I need a new dish for satellites I currently do not have?

My current setup is a 622 and 811 fed thru a SW64 with a Dish500 on 110 and 119 and a single dish on 61.5. All are HDTV's. I do not have locals currently except via antenna.

My 622 uses 2 cables from the SW64 and the 811 uses one cable run. The 222 in the bedroom will feed a second lcd tv in the master bath. I know that there are many people on this board with much more common sense and knowlege of E* than many of the CSR's. Armed with info from all of you I can be much more prepared for the conversation with the CSR. My hope is to get all the HD channels that are available and if that means a new dish then no big deal. I just want to know everything I need before i start so I get it all done at once. If what I have will work just running another cable into the SW64 then I am all set. List all switches, dishes etc...

Thanks in advance.
    Dave

2. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    FSN Cincinnati is only available from 129°. Adding a 5th tuner to a legacy setup is a strong motivating factor to switch to DishPro. I would suggest a Dish 1000.2. It has a 3-LNB head with an integrated DP Plus switch for 3 receivers, any of which can be dual-tuner models. It also has an input for a 4th satellite if you get a DP LNB for the 61.5 dish, in case you don't want to lose the Demo channel or some of the PIs.

3. spdmonkey

spdmonkey Mentor

Feb 5, 2006
    Ok, so I finally got around to calling Dish today regarding the need to replace my 811 to continue seeing VOOM channels. What an experience as usual. The CSR initially gave me 3 choices for upgrading the 811--the 211, 222, and 622 as expected. Because I don't really need installation help I said 222 for the $119 with $100 back would be fine. We go thru all the steps and she comes back saying its not possible to get the 222 under any circumstances unless I replace my 622 with it. Thats not the point of my call today I replied and she said I could have another 622 without any deals meaning pay full price for the 2nd leased 622 with self install or I could do the 211 for $99 and $6 a month. Not really what I hoped for a "special upgrade offer" that appeared on channel 9469. Furthermore she would not quote any deals on upgrading my dish itself to either a 1000.2 or any kind of lnb/switch upgrades. Of course I could alwwyas sign up for locals since that would force a need for the 1000.2 installation, but since I get my Columbus locals in HD via OTA reception and get the distants from AAD due to my RV exemption its wasted money. I went ahead and ordered the 211 so that I get those channels when the switch happens.

Any thoughs out there as to my best way of moving now? I intend to purchase a 222 from a retailer for $289 so I will need to upgrade either my dishes, LNB's, and switches or a combination of them so that I can get FSN Cincinnati and Sports Time Ohio (STO) in HD from 129. We are lucky in central Ohio as we get 2 RSN's plus STO and to get selected programming in HD is even better. Thanks for any direction you can give. I read all the LNB/disf/switch info at EKB, but it all really blends together in my head. Thanks again!

Dave

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    CSR roulette keep calling until you get what you need and want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.