1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding 3rd Receiver

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by valvestud, Mar 15, 2009.

1. valvestud

valvestud Mentor

Feb 19, 2006
    Hi All,

As I eagerly await HD locals here in Tucson, I also need to add another receiver. This means a new wire run from the dish to the new location. I currently have a 622 and 722 receiver. I run two separate coax to each receiver and have separators at each as well. I understand that since both these receivers are dual tuner, I can't add another to my account. If so, what are my options to have HD at all three locations? I don't need a DVR in the new location, and don't need a dual tuner where I use the 622.

I'll change out whatever's necessary in terms of the dish and switch. Any help here related to which dish and switch I'll need given the addition of Tucson HD locals coming "soon", would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    You will have to buy any of DISH's MPEG4 HD satellite receivers 411/211/222/612/622 & 722 which ever fits your wallet. You didn't tell us what you have for dishes so if you have a 1000.2 you should be all set.

3. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    You can add receivers to your account, up to 6. The limit you've hit is that your existing 2 receivers provide the standard leased receiver maximum of 4 TV outputs. Any additional you pay for yourself, along with the additional receiver fee (which happens to be the same as a lease fee) and possible no-phone penalty.

Tucson HD is now scheduled for Apr 1 along with 7 others.

4. valvestud

valvestud Mentor

Feb 19, 2006
    Pardon my lack of knowledge, but all I know is that I have one larger sized dish and I receive from 110, 119, and 129. Is there a simple way to determine what I have for a dish and switch? When I do a check switch I see it's a DPP Twin w/Separator. If this is sufficient, is there another connection for the 3rd receiver?

5. valvestud

valvestud Mentor

Feb 19, 2006

Thanks for the receiver clarification and the great news on the HD locals. Hopefully they actually hit on April 1!

6. scoobyxj

scoobyxj Godfather

Apr 15, 2008
    You have a 1000 dish. It has a DP+ Twin for 119*/110*, and a DP dual for the 129*. It's hardware will only support two receivers (dual, or single tuner). You have a couple options with this.

1. You can purchase two more DP duals, and 2 DP34 switchs. You will replace the DP+ twin with the duals, and run a line from each LNB to the 34sw (use the pass through to feed the 2nd sw). However with this equipment you will need a line from each tuner to the switch (removing the Seperators).

2. You can purchase two more DP duals, and a DP+33 switch (or a DP+ 44sw). Again you will replace the DP+ twin with the duals, and run a line from each LNB to the SW. You will then only need to run a single line from each receiver to the SW (using the seperators if nessasary.

3. You can purchase a 1000.2, and run a line from each output port to each receiver.

7. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I just went through this. The cost of adding a couple for switches was more expensive than installing another dish. I now have 2 1000.2 dishes on my roof.

Cost was $99 for the antenna on top of the DISH $99 installation.

Check with some of your local installers. You may be able to get a fair deal on this.

Oh - he also replaced most of the coax too.

8. siper66

siper66 New Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Tucson HD is now scheduled for Apr 1 along with 7 others.[/QUOTE]

What are the 7 others? Columbus Ohio perhaps?:grin:

9. valvestud

valvestud Mentor

Feb 19, 2006
    Thanks to all of you for your help!

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If you have this dish:

[​IMG]
    Dish 1000

then you only have support for 2 receivers, and you'll either need to upgrade your dish or buy a multiswitch.

If you have this dish:

[​IMG]
    Dish 1000.2

then your dish already supports a 3rd receiver, and you'd just need to run a coax line from the dish to the new receiver.

11. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    The 8 are, per the other site's Retailer Chat:
    Missoula, MT; Idaho Falls, ID; Tucson, AZ (these from the 2008 list);
    and Sioux City, IA; Youngstown, OH; Meridian, MS; Cheyenne, WY; Gainesville, FL.
    All but Tucson are already uplinked.

Columbus, OH is uplinked and set for "after March."