1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a 2nd Hard drive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by jpx5, Oct 14, 2009.

1. jpx5

jpx5 Legend

Jul 24, 2007
    Central New...
    Running XP SP3 on a Dell Optiplex 320. Is there any limitation on the size of the drive I can install
    Thx in advance for any input

2. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Unless your BIOS has an issue....and I seriously doubt that a machine running XP SP3 would have the problem you shouldn't have an issue running anything up to the latest 2TB drives.

newegg.com is having a sale on 1TB WD drives today...I think they're $79.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The Dell Optiplex can accept SATA HDD's. Looking at the specs, the MiniTower version can accept two hardddrives. The Desktop version looks like it only has room for one harddrive. As Ken stated, you should be fine using up to 2TB drives.

- Merg

4. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Make sure you get a SATA cable with a right-angle connector. On the slimmer desktop version, you can add a 2nd hard drive, but it will have to be installed in place of the floppy drive.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    To add to that, if you currently use IDE drives and are switching to SATA, make sure that the powersupply has SATA power cables. If not, you need to purchase molex to SATA extenders to power the new drive (if it is a SATA drive).

- Merg

6. jpx5

jpx5 Legend

Jul 24, 2007
    Central New...
    Thanks for all the responses.

One question, why will I need the right angle cable.

7. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    depending on how much space you have in your case, right angle connectors just use the space more efficiently...

8. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    The Dell "mini tower" cases have slots for second (and third) hard drives to slide in sideways. The connectors on the back of the drive are right under the case cover and it requires a right angle cable in order to clear the cover.