1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding a basic reciever

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by rbwiest, Mar 31, 2008.

1. rbwiest

rbwiest New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    I have 2 HD/DVR recievers. 1 in the living room and 1 in the bedroom. I now have a Tv in the office and all I want is the basic satelite on that tv. I was told that I could go to Best Buy or the like and get a basic Direct tv box. Simple enough except I was told that I need a 6 x 8 wide connector outside. Right now I have 4 lines going into a splitter (if thats what its called)and 4 coming out. 2 going to the living room and 2 going to the bedroom. What is needed to hook up the office tv with basic satelite? And if a 6 x 8 wide is needed where can I get one?

Any help would be great.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Welcome to DBSTalk

The things you are calling splitters are actually the grounding block. The 4 lines after the grounding block you need to run to the Zinwell WB68. Than you will have 8 outputs to use. 2 lines to each DVR and 1 line to the SD receiver. You will be using 5 of th 8 and have 3 left for use down the road.

Here is what you need.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=WB68

Have you thought about having DIRECTV do it? They will supply the WB68 for free if they bring out the SD receiver and do the install.

3. reh523

reh523 AllStar

Sep 7, 2006
    You will not save any money by going to BB or CC (now if you got one off of Ebay then maybe). I would agree with BMoreRavens call Dirctv and have them do it.....

4. rbwiest

rbwiest New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    I have thought about calling but figured I could do it just as easy. I even thought I could save a few dollars.

so the "grounding box" should stay connected and the 4 line coming from that should conect to the wb68 and from that point run the 2 lines to the living room and the 2 lines to the bedroom like before and run the last to the office. does that mean that later if I wanted there are 3 lines left to do the same thing?

also pictures helped. they gave me a visual

5. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    grounding box=grounding block....and yes it stays.

Yes, you would have 3 connections left for future expansion.

Good luck. (Sorry Bmore :p )

6. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I'd stick with D* to get the upgrade. You'll get the same deal anyways.

7. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I wouldn't recommend getting one from ebay. I've heard too many horror stories that begin with, "I bought my receiver from ebay and (insert reason why you wasted your money here)."

8. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    You mean the deal about waiting around all day for the installer to call and say he can't make it ? or the deal when the installer shows and says - I don't have any multiswitches like that with me, I'll have to come back tomorrow.

I'm with the OP. I'd just do it myself if are able to.

9. Apr 1, 2008 #9 of 10
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Toss up as to doing it yourself versus having an installer. Do it yourself, you pay for the receiver and the multiswitch. You do it on your schedule without missing work, etc. (probably offsets the cost of the equipment, plus). Have DirecTV do it, pay for the receiver and should get the multiswitch included. But as noted, unless the multiswitch is listed as a specific item of equipment on your work order (not just a note), the installer probably won't have one available. Pretty common tale of woe posted here.

You specifically want the Zinwell WB68 multiswitch. I just checked one on-line dealer and the cost is $39.99 plus shipping. I highly doubt you will find one in a local retail store. The D12 SD reciever from the same on-line store is $69.99 plus shipping. You would pay that regardless, so the cost difference is $40. To me, that is worth missing a half day (or more) of work, and doing the install myself. Oh, sorry, add the coax and connectors to the price, another $25 or so.

I'm also inclined to say do it yourself if you are comfortable with terminating coax.

Carl

10. Incompetent

Incompetent AllStar

Mar 26, 2008
    Once you call D* that Upgrade is in the system. Unless you live in BFE then an HSP will come out to your house. HSPs are required to do alot of things, the least of which is guarantee a work order for 90 days. If you are not satisfied with your service within those 90 days then you can keep D* coming to your house. Trust me things like this happen and while you might not get the best guy the first time, eventually you will either have TV the way you expected it or you will be ready for something else.