1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a receiver to an outbuilding?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dravenstone, Jun 25, 2013.

1. dravenstone

dravenstone Cool Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Well now that my woes with the HR24 lock ups are over (whew) I'm on to thinking about the next issue I have to deal with.
    We are in the early stages of building a pool (permits just went to the township last week) - we are also converting a storage shed into a full bar, it will be wired with electric and contain a television at an excellent viewing angle for sitting on the baja shelf and watching baseball while drinking beer.
    Since I have three HR24's I have plenty of recording space and really just want to add a receiver onto the system in the bar that's attached to the network via SWM, but the building is a solid 40 feet from the house.
    What's the best course of action while I'm working with my GC to make sure things go smoothly. I don't want to string cable from the roof across the yard to the bar, but they are running conduit for electric - should I have them pull cable at the same time and run to the house or...?

This ones new to me. I'll ask the GC about it next time we speak - but would love some input from anyone who has done similar.

thanks!

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    40 feet is nothing. Just run an RG6 SCC. you will be golden

3. dravenstone

dravenstone Cool Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks for the super fast response.
    To be clear I wasn't concerned about the length - I'm concerned about the line itself, are you saying have them run RG6 when they run the electric so that there is something to connect up with at the house?
    I have three lines run to each of the HR24's directly from the dish at the moment which happens to be directly above the electrical panel so they should be running what I presume will be conduit underground from the panel to the bar to get electric in. But those lines are all of course under the eaves of the house.
    I'm trying to understand where I need something terminated by the house so that I can hook up the receiver without having any visible wires across the yard to the bar from the house.
    make sense?
    thanks again!

4. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Have the electrician run a second conduit from the house to the shed. With only 1 cable to each HR you obviously have SWM so there would be a splitter either on the dish somewhere or more likely screwed to the house. The cable will run from the splitter to the shed

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Follow the line from the dish, there should be a splitter there. run the line to the pool house to here

6. HDSC

HDSC AllStar

Jan 8, 2012
    They have given you the correct information about using RG6. And the SWM systems are not a problem up to 300 feet at least from the dish. If you do not want to wait for the Installers with your pre-planning, you can buy a shielded RG-6( not required) 50 footer from Radio Shack also (PS: I have no affiliation with RS). Just did this about 2 months ago and waiting for my new equipment upgrade in 2 weeks with the new HR44 and C41's. I did move a HR23 to check my work but we are good to go with our Deck TV. We actually use ours most during the Fall during College football and then again during NCAA Basketball (March-Madness) with an occasional PRO game here and there and a Superbowl depending on the the weather.

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    They have given you the correct information about using RG6. And the SWM systems are not a problem up to 300 feet at least from the dish. If you do not want to wait for the Installers with your pre-planning, you can buy a shielded RG-6( not required) 50 footer from Radio Shack also (PS: I have no affiliation with RS). Just did this about 2 months ago and waiting for my new equipment upgrade in 2 weeks with the new HR44 and C41's. I did move a HR23 to check my work but we are good to go with our Deck TV. We actually use ours most during the Fall during College football and then again during NCAA Basketball (March-Madness) with an occasional PRO game here and there and a Superbowl depending on the the weather.

300 feet is a stretch

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I can not stress enough how smart it would be to simply run a second conduit to the bar so that you can simply pull wire out there easily. If anything ever happens or you decide you want to run cat6 or whatever you are ready to with the conduit.

Id never consider running it in the same conduit as your electrical lines either no matter what anyone might suggest on that. Sometimes electricians think you can run it all together and that's not smart for a lot of reasons.

9. dravenstone

dravenstone Cool Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks folks, that's really helpful info.
    I can easily find the splitter and will make sure to procure the cabling before install.
    Love the idea about a second conduit line - I hard wire most of my network since I sling so much video across around the place... having a way to pull an ethernet cable out there easily would make a LOT of sense.

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks folks, that's really helpful info.
    I can easily find the splitter and will make sure to procure the cabling before install.
    Love the idea about a second conduit line - I hard wire most of my network since I sling so much video across around the place... having a way to pull an ethernet cable out there easily would make a LOT of sense.

Or you can pull the ethernet cable now along with the coax. just saying. cable is cheap

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Mono price. It's real cheap. :)

Yeah I'd pull it now to. Why not?

12. Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski Mentor

Nov 17, 2011
    It is against code to run low voltage (coax, cat5) cables in the same conduit as high voltage (romex, bx). in fact, you can't even use the same knockouts in enginered beams when doing your rough-in during new contruction. up here in the nanny commonwealth of taxachusetts the inspector will make you pull your cables and do it over correctly if you combine those two types of cabling in one conduit. run a second conduit - 1 1/2 inch PVC is cheap - plus you will have the extra room for the future as other posters have mentioned.

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Now that you've got DirecTV figured out for the bar, it's time to talk about really important stuff... booze. I would strongly suggest getting a commercial 2 tap kegerator (see first attachment). With it summer heat that the kegerator will be exposed to, I think that's important to have a heavy duty condenser motor. We've had that one (Beverage-Air DD-48) for about 6 years now and it's run issue free. This year we added a matching back bar refrigerator (Beverage Air BB-48G) (see second attachment) which has allowed us to stop storing wine, mixers, bottled beer, etc... in the kegerator.

Although the photo doesn't show it, the one that we got has the same stainless steel top that the kegerator does. They sit next to one another. They are the two best things that we've done for the bar.

Attached Files:

14. dravenstone

dravenstone Cool Member

Sep 11, 2010
    HAHA I love where you are headed. I have the fridge coming in the remodel, but no kegerator (yet) - With the pool build and the landscaping and the bar construction... that one might have to wait until next summer, but you are thinking about the important stuff now for sure!

15. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    You need to put the thought into the heads of your friends that you're building this for their benefit too. Maybe they will get the idea to chip in a little for some of the pieces. The pool bar pictured in my post actually belongs to my best friends. They were in the same boat that you are currently in. I realized how much this construction would benefit me, as I hate going to beach bars and would much prefer to hang out at a good backyard party. So, during construction, I gave them $2,000 to buy whatever they needed for the project. As it turned out, since I had done the research on the kegerator, my friend ended up asking me to buy the kegerator and he tore up the check that I gave him. After others had learned that I did that, they started doing small things to help. Nothing as big as a kegerator. But virtually all of the decorations that are currently in the bar came from friends who saw them and thought "that would look great in the pool bar". There's a large collection to tap handles that various people have bought as well as tap handle holders to display the assortment of tap handles when they're not being used. Lots of other things as well.

Last summer, we kept talking about the need for a dedicated refrigerator. But, I knew that they really couldn't afford to buy it (their son just finished his freshman year at the University of Michigan at about $50K per year). So, last fall, I told them that I would buy a unit that matched the kegerator in time for this summer, which I did in early May.

One thing that I would also suggest (especially if you don't want glass bottles anywhere near the pool) is to put something out where people can put a few dollars into in order to pay for the kegs (my friends refuse to do this). In talking to people, they want to contribute. So they end up bringing cases of beer with them. If rather than bringing beer, they could drop $20 into a jar, most of them would do so. What's really silly is when people bring cases of Bud Light with them. Since the pool bar has opened, the right side of the kegerator has ALWAYS contained a keg of Bud Light (because that's what his wife drinks). It's the other side that varies (there is currently a 1/6 keg of Blue Point Summer Ale in there).