1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Cable to Another Room

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by davidj7479, Jan 22, 2013.

1. davidj7479

davidj7479 New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Good mornig all.

My current equipment
    (2) -HR24-200
    (1) - H25-500

I'm trying to run another cable to a different room so that I can take the receiver to this room occasionally.

My head is swimming (no pun intended) from all the wires under the house.
    It looks like there is one wire from the dish. On the H25 and H24 there is one coax on each.

On one of the H24, the cable comes from the wall into a power inverter, from there to a green 2-way splitter, from there one wire goes to HDVR, one wire goes to a little box that has an ethernet cable connected.

Questions
    1) Can I change the 2-way splitter to a 4-way splitter and add two additional rooms?
    2) If so, does it matter which wire that has the DC power pass connected to on the splitter?
    3) Does it matter what type of coax I use? Can they be crimped connectors?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    1. Yes, but make sure it is a DirecTV approved green labeled splitter.
    2. Yes, one port will be color coded red for power passing. That is where the power inserter needs to go.
    3. Yes, you want to use RG6 and do NOT use crimp connectors, use compression connectors.

3. davidj7479

davidj7479 New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Great, thanks Carl.

To clarify #2, for the input on the 4-way, it will come from the power inverter, but one of the ouputs has the DC pass, does it matter which, if any receiver it goes to?

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Remember -When you take the receiver from one room to the other-Place a terminator on the end of the unused run.

It will keep the signal from leaking onto the floor :lol: (all un used ports should be terminated)

5. davidj7479

davidj7479 New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Thanks WestDC, never heard of them. Started looking around the net. So i would put a coupler and the terminator on the room that is does not have the receiver?

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    RadioShack sells them.