1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding hard drive using JBOD.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bafuerst, Jan 18, 2010.

1. bafuerst

bafuerst AllStar

Feb 18, 2007
    I currently have a HR20/700 with an external 750GB hard drive that I was wanting to add more recording capacity to. At first I was just going to get a bigger drive but then while shopping at the computer store I saw an external drive case that will except 2 drives and run in JBOD mode.

My question is if I get this case and make my current drive the first drive and then add a second drive will the DVR format it and use the additional space?

Has this ever been done? I searched the forums a little but didn't fine any information about anyone trying this so I apologize if this has been posted. However if it's never been tried I would be more than willing to try it.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Seems to me you'll be the first one. Don't forget to post your result here.

3. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    **IF** it works it will erase what's on the current drive and format it as one larger drive. You would lose what is already on the existing drive. It definately won't EXTEND the existing drive and retain the programming.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As long as you know that everything on the current drive will be erased here is the other caveat: The enclosure must appear as a single drive to the HR2x for this to have any chance of success. IIRC, JBOD modes do not work, but RAID modes will as long as the enclosure does hardware raid not requiring any external drivers

5. bafuerst

bafuerst AllStar

Feb 18, 2007
    I just went through my list of recorded shows and deleted what I know I will never watch or can record again and I still have about 60 hours of stuff to watch.

I think I'm going to remove my current drive, install another drive, record a few shows and then add the second drive to see what happens.

I'll install a new drive today to get things started and then get the dual esata enclosure and second hard drive this weekend. I'll let everyone know what happens.

6. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I think this is how the Weaknees dual-drive enclosures work. You can configure them as RAID 1 or JBOD, it appears.

7. maerativo

maerativo New Member

Jul 23, 2008
    N. California
    So, did this work out for you? I've been wanting to add two 2TB drives (for a total 4TB of recording) to my HR-22 but haven't figured out how to do it. Thanks:confused:

8. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    4TBs?!?! WOW!!! How much recording space would that give you? lol
    And when do we get 3TB drives so we can have 6TBs? lol

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I have read here where the HR's maximun drive capacity (internal/external) is 2TB.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Before you'll do that - search for "3.75 TB" keyword in DTV forums.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Since the current limit appears to be 2TB total, that is most likely a fools errand anyway...

12. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    2 TB is still the limit as far as I know.

Cheers,
    Tom

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    One other major concern I would have with very large storage capacity is that should your drive ever fail (and they all do sooner or later), you will lose everything recorded on it. The larger the drive, the fuller it is, the more you lose.

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Luckily, most of the time it is the drives that fail, if you catch it in time you can copy the drive over to a shiny new one and not lose your programming. The kicker is when something else on the DVR goes bad. Then you have 2TB of nothing since it is only watchable on the DVR it was recorded on, outside of the new MRV feature, but that still requires the DVR it was originlly recorded on to be operational. I've gone up to 1.5TB and it is scary how many shows I have unwatched on it.

15. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I HIGHLY doubt it would work, but has anybody tried to stream something from a DVR with a previous DVRs hard drive placed inside it?
    Basically, your DVR dies, but the hard drive is still good. Swap DVRs, put the old hard drive in the new DVR. Obviously recordings wouldn't playback on the new DVR, but would the client be tricked into playing them back?

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Nope, files from a drive decoding first by local CPU with own key, then sending by using different client key.

17. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I didn't think so. I'm always the curious one though lol

18. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    is that 2TB per kernel or 2 TB per drive?
    I was always under the impression that the limit was per drive.

19. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Kernel, since even weaknees, who has a 3 TB box, says this needs to be used in a mirrored mode [to keep it below 2 TB]

20. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    ok, guess its way behind the times :)