1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding HR34 to my current set up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by spartacvs, Sep 10, 2012.

1. spartacvs

spartacvs Mentor

Dec 29, 2011
    I just have a few questions about adding HR34 to my current set up, which is 2 dishes, SWM, Whole Home DVR, 1 HR24, 2 H25 and 2 SD Receivers. The HD DVR is in the master bedroom which is connected to a deca I think. I'm planning to put the HR34 to the master bedroom and the current HD DVR to the living room and transfer the H25 from the living room to the other bedroom which has an SD receiver and send back the SD receiver to Directv.

1. Would there be any changes in wiring the HR34 in the master bedroom and also the living room? basically, is it just a matter of connecting the same wires that are connected to my current receivers?

2. After adding the HR34, I will now have 2 HD DVRs. Will the cost be the same or is it 2 DVR fees which is going to be $16?

3. When I transfer the HR24 to the living room, does this need an internet connection?

4. Can I access the recordings both from the HR34 and HR24 in my H25 receiver?

Thanks,

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    1. seems like you'll simply need to change the type of SWiM, since you'll have more than 8 tuners.
    2. The DVR fee is per account, so it won't increase.
    3. If you have a CCK to your current coax networking, it's shared with all the receivers connected.
    4. With MRV all the recordings can be share, "though" this is some concern with the current software that may cause problems until the next update comes out.

3. spartacvs

spartacvs Mentor

Dec 29, 2011
    How do I have more than 8 tuners? I was thinking just 7 tuners. Regarding MRV, the recordings from HR34 is not accessible in my H25?

Thanks,

4. MrLatte

MrLatte Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    HR34 = 5 tuners
    HR24 = 2 tuners
    2 H25s = 1 tuner each

Total tuners is 9.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    By the time you get things installed, it may not be a worry.
    The HR34 should work now, and the HR24 should work, but the HR24 to HR34 was what is in work to be fixed.

6. spartacvs

spartacvs Mentor

Dec 29, 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys. I just called Directv and asked for HR34 and she quoted me the regular price of $399 + $49 installation fee so I asked for retentions. The lady from retentions at first gave me the same price and instead offered me the HR24 but I said I want the HR34. In the end she took $250 off so my total is just over $200. But I wasn't finished, she gave me free Showtime for 6 months after I told her my free Showtime of 1 year expired and Homeland is coming up next month. :) Installation is this coming Wednesday.

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Just added the '34 to my set up, retiring a well used and very solid HR20-700. I have also an HR24, and two 'H25s, but one is deactivated. So 8 tuners; maxed out on my current SWiM.

Question: If one were sure he would never use both 25s at once, could they share a wire via a splitter?

Anyway, hope I'll get smart overnight, and be able to actually help with others who are new to the HMC.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    To do it, you'll be power cycling everything.

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You would have to unplug (completely unpower) the unused H25. Doing that, this would work. It will take the H25 a few minutes to come back up to operational when you power it up. Also, it will take it a while to regain guide data beyond the first couple of hours.

In order to use whole-home, you'll need to power cycle the entire system as VOS noted.

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Couldn't he also run the HR34 with only 4 tuners active, or set the HR24 to single tuner mode so he is only unsing 8 tuners? Obviously this wouldn't be the DirecTV supported way to do it but it should work right?

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    HR24 in single tuner mode is more predictable. HR34 will grab as many tuners as it can so if it boots before HR24 it will grab 5 and then there will be a 771b/776 error.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Thanks, Gents, all.

Looks like it'd be easier to swap in a box than to try to use two. It is for the time being, anyway, hypothetical for my set up, though others may also learn from this part of the discussion.